• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error message: "This coin cannot be added to your inventory at this time."

19 posts in this topic

While adding a coin to my registry, I was presented with an error message:

This coin cannot be added to your inventory at this time. We will review this coin and you will be notified of the results.

MEXICO (1618-22)MO D REALES 4
SHIPWRECK EFFECT
The details displayed match the certification number. Have I done something wrong?

error.PNG

There could be a problem as I do not think this coin would or could be CAC approved.   I am not 100% certain if CAC has ever accepted any Mexico coins for review in the past.   However, there are no non-US coins on the list of coins that CAC will review at this time.    Nor are there any world coins of any type listed in the CAC pop report, only an NGC representative can help you further with your question but that seems to be a red flag.

I had this problem over the weekend when 2 coins came up as "belonging to another registered user" or something like that. I believe it said that the coins would be added within 1 or 2 days if some condition wasn't met or something (contacting the other user/registry). 

I don't know exactly what that could mean, I have the coin in hand and manually entered the serial number.  I don't believe I created another registry or something though it IS possible I had a different login and then used the bar code scanner on the coin (though as I said in another thread and PMs to NGC, the coins didn't appear to be getting into my registry/Certified Coins list because of the Login/PW/SIGN IN glitch).

Edited by GoldFinger1969

This is supposed to occur when a former owner had the coin in his or her coin list and didn't bother to remove it after selling the coin or when someone dishonestly entered the serial number without owning the coin to begin with.  NGC is supposed to e-mail the owner of record to ask whether that person still claims ownership and will transfer the coin to your list if the record owner agrees or doesn't respond.  This happened to me once with a coin I had just purchased and was resolved within two days.   

The same thing just happened to me. I sent an inquiry email to NGC Support and this is the response that I received today:

Your El Cazador Shipwreck 8R does not have a background Coin ID associated with it.  When you tried to enter it on January 25th, it went into our queue for review by our graders.  

For various reasons, including rarity, extreme environmental damage, one-offs, etc., our graders may determine a coin should not receive a background coin ID; it is up to their discretion.  

Please see the information below regarding background Coin IDs.

An NGC certification number is the number you see listed on the label of a coin. This number matches the submission/order form when a coin is originally submitted to us for grading services. The certification number is utilized to help track a coin when it is in our facilities for services.  No two coins can share the same certification number.

An NGC coin ID is a background ID/number that is associated with a certified coin. It is basic information about a coin, such as country, denomination, coin description. date, and strike. A coin ID is normally assigned to each coin by our researchers/graders at the time of grading. Coin ID’s are used in the NGC Registry (and in the Census.) The coin ID is what allows the software on NGCcoin.com to “recognize” a coin when a collector tries to enter his certification number into an NGC Registry set.

As soon as soon our graders have the opportunity to review your coin, you will receive an email with their decision.  We appreciate your patience.

Before purchasing the coin I scanned the barcode on the NGC app and the coin showed up with photos. It’s only after I got home and tried to register it that I got the error message. I’m confused and the email response that they sent me didn’t clear it up. (shrug)

On 1/30/2023 at 12:14 PM, Sandon said:

This is supposed to occur when a former owner had the coin in his or her coin list and didn't bother to remove it after selling the coin or when someone dishonestly entered the serial number without owning the coin to begin with.  NGC is supposed to e-mail the owner of record to ask whether that person still claims ownership and will transfer the coin to your list if the record owner agrees or doesn't respond.  This happened to me once with a coin I had just purchased and was resolved within two days.   

I can't recall but I am pretty sure the 2 coins were basic 1-ounce silver Brittanias or Pandas, not anything really valuable, Sandon.  I don't have many expensive silver coins anyway -- a couple of $500 - $1,000 Morgans -- and the 2 coins I had a problem entering are both worth under $100 I would guess.

And I doubt anybody but me would have entered them in any registry or certification list.  I think I got 'em new a few years ago.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I followed Ali E.'s suggestion and emailed the registry address (registry@ngccoin.com) and received the following reply:

Dear Stephen,

Your request for NGC certification 1974035-034 has been declined by NGC.

Admin Comments: Our graders have determined that this coin is not eligible for the competitive NGC Registry. You may, however, add it to your Collection Manager and create a custom set for it at Collectors-Society.com. Thank you.

As a newbie, I'm not really sure what that means. I suspect that the registry is actually a coin database where people get to compare their collections against others' and see who has the nicer collection. Judging by this, I'm guessing my coin probably isn't worth enough to bother with.

I'm not terribly worried about it - I'm not looking to compete; I just want to make sure that my coins are actually authentic.

I'm interested to hear any info anyone else may have on this topic. Thanks, everyone!

On 1/30/2023 at 4:52 PM, Stephen Matthew said:

I suspect that the registry is actually a coin database where people get to compare their collections against others' and see who has the nicer collection. Judging by this, I'm guessing my coin probably isn't worth enough to bother with.

Your first sentence is partly correct, but your second sentence isn't correct. (People display their collections for many reasons, not just to see whose is "nicer".) There are many low value and low grade coins on the Registry. However, I checked the Registry for Mexico and noticed that there are no set categories for 4 real pieces dated before 1701.  There is a set category for 8 reales dated 1621-1667, but no one has created a set.  NGC has probably decided that there just isn't enough interest in these coins and/or there are too few pieces certified to create a set category for them, whatever their value.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:46 PM, Sandon said:

Your first sentence is partly correct, but your second sentence isn't correct. (People display their collections for many reasons, not just to see whose is "nicer".) There are many low value and low grade coins on the Registry. However, I checked the Registry for Mexico and noticed that there are no set categories for 4 real pieces dated before 1701.  There is a set category for 8 reales dated 1621-1667, but no one has created a set.  NGC has probably decided that there just isn't enough interest in these coins and/or there are too few pieces certified to create a set category for them, whatever their value.

Do registry coins have to be graded? 

On 1/30/2023 at 8:04 PM, lcourtney123 said:

YES! U.S. coins must have been certified by NGC or PCGS. World coins must have been certified by NGC.  For the rules go to www.ngccoin.com/registry/ and review the lower tabs at the left side of the page "About" and "Help/FAQs. The "NGC Registry Help and Instructions" forum on this chat board is also helpful.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:04 PM, lcourtney123 said:

That's the whole purpose with the registry set, as I understand it.

We have a poster here called "Elite" who is the owner of the 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle (you may have heard about it; highest price ever paid for a U.S. coin).  His Saint-Gaudens collection is listed on the PCGS registry and it was linked in another thread here at the NGC Forums.

Super-impressive collection....legendary, along the lines of the Simpson, Duckor, and Eliasberg collections.  You can make a case that he surpassed them, but then again, registry scoring isn't my game.xD

On 1/30/2023 at 6:04 PM, lcourtney123 said:

As a general rule yes all coins have to be graded to be placed into a registry set.   However, there are a few exceptions, there are a handful of coins that have not received a numeric grade only a generic BU or AU grade when they were graded by NGC.   These are often done for the TV sellers and for other special circumstances like some of the shipwreck coins.   NGC does allow those in some types of sets, usually these coins receive very low points.   Again, these are the exceptions not the norm. 

On 1/16/2023 at 3:59 PM, Stephen Matthew said:

While adding a coin to my registry, I was presented with an error message:

This coin cannot be added to your inventory at this time. We will review this coin and you will be notified of the results.

MEXICO (1618-22)MO D REALES 4
SHIPWRECK EFFECT
The details displayed match the certification number. Have I done something wrong?

error.PNG

I have had this message pop up when I have entered actual mint error coins like both of my broadstruck nickels and an improperly annealed planchet coin. The CAC was also there on my coins and they are not coins CAC will sticker. The CAC thing seems to be a small glitch in their system. I’m not sure if they are considering the shipwreck effect an error. 9FF0536A-B1ED-4FB5-805C-EC59390DACB5.thumb.jpeg.3c226f562320e9beecd968b7fd2f8b46.jpeg

Edited by Lem E

Did I see an error message saying that my coin belonged to someone else or someone else's registry ?  Since they were modern coins (bullion basically) that I bought for < $100.....and I was the original owner.....I was confused.

I don't think I have another NGC login so any ideas what I saw ?  I may have tried to avoid that Login/PW glitch with the cut-off page on the NGC App by creating a 2nd email but I don't think I got that far to add a coin of mine under this 2nd email setup..

On 1/30/2023 at 7:18 PM, Sandon said:

YES! U.S. coins must have been certified by NGC or PCGS. World coins must have been certified by NGC.  For the rules go to www.ngccoin.com/registry/ and review the lower tabs at the left side of the page "About" and "Help/FAQs. The "NGC Registry Help and Instructions" forum on this chat board is also helpful.

Good deal. I am glad some do show em off because they are surely interesting and helpful for others to learn. 

• Administrator
On 1/30/2023 at 10:22 PM, Lem E said:

I have had this message pop up when I have entered actual mint error coins like both of my broadstruck nickels and an improperly annealed planchet coin. The CAC was also there on my coins and they are not coins CAC will sticker. The CAC thing seems to be a small glitch in their system. I’m not sure if they are considering the shipwreck effect an error. 

On 1/30/2023 at 10:22 PM, Lem E said:

I have had this message pop up when I have entered actual mint error coins like both of my broadstruck nickels and an improperly annealed planchet coin. The CAC was also there on my coins and they are not coins CAC will sticker. The CAC thing seems to be a small glitch in their system. I’m not sure if they are considering the shipwreck effect an error. 9FF0536A-B1ED-4FB5-805C-EC59390DACB5.thumb.jpeg.3c226f562320e9beecd968b7fd2f8b46.jpeg

Hello, Lem.

As the message states, your coin was put into our admin queue for review. You followed the directions perfectly, no worries. Our apologies for the inconvenience. You should receive a response soon, if you did not already. For any questions, please email registry@NGCcoin.com. Thank you for your patience.

On 2/2/2023 at 10:07 AM, Ali E. said:

Hello, Lem.

As the message states, your coin was put into our admin queue for review. You followed the directions perfectly, no worries. Our apologies for the inconvenience. You should receive a response soon, if you did not already. For any questions, please email registry@NGCcoin.com. Thank you for your patience.

I’m not too worried about it. I was just showing the OP that it happens to other people. Thanks @Ali E.