• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on this 1921 D Morgan
2 2

17 posts in this topic

I think its dipped with that dull grey color from being dipped too long.  Pass ... the 1921's are readily available, and the better ones like the attached are not very expensive.

1921-d-morgan-dollar-bu_5099_Obv.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

If it is cheap like this graded coin I got for $41. I know it is a P but I am sure you can find something like this Bill

1921 P +.jpg

1921 P reverse.jpg

Edited by J P M

That’s exactly what I want JP just haven’t seen many graded. I want to have a four mint marked Morgan’s to go along with my 2021 Morgan.

let me know if you see one somewhere. Thanks JP

On 1/16/2023 at 10:10 AM, J P M said:

If it is cheap like this graded coin I got for $41

The coin is also AU -- not Unc. Look at the differences in field near stars, letters, numbers, etc. Use the "white paper" test to view the obvious.

On 1/16/2023 at 10:10 AM, J P M said:

If it is cheap like this graded coin I got for $41. I know it is a P but I am sure you can find something like this Bill

1921 P +.jpg

1921 P reverse.jpg

That's a good price for that coin.  Just curious if you still have the hook to get coins around 2/3 to 3/4 retail, or better in some cases. I seem to recall you mentioning something about the wife of the dealer taking over.

On 1/16/2023 at 8:07 PM, EagleRJO said:

That's a good price for that coin.  Just curious if you still have the hook to get coins around 2/3 to 3/4 retail, or better in some cases. I seem to recall you mentioning something about the wife of the dealer taking over.

I try to buy almost all my coins a 30% of retail if I have to jump to 50% I will if it is a hard to find coin. Now Morgan's in the last year or so have been harder to get in that percent range. I will pass on any coin at 75% except gold that is it's own demon . Now that I am down to the 90's the last 5 Morgan's in my set. I may have to wait a long time or break the rule and pay up. We will see what I can find I am not in a rush. 

Edited by J P M

On 1/17/2023 at 8:27 AM, J P M said:

Now Morgan's in the last year or so have been harder to get in that percent range. I will pass on any coin at 75% except gold that is it's own demon . Now that I am down to the 90's the last 5 Morgan's in my set. I may have to wait a long time or break the rule and pay up.

One issue is at what valuation for Morgans.  I think PCG$ has over-valued them since early in 2022 when they jacked up the values from the spike and never looked back.  On the flip side, NGC hasn't really raised their values by much the past several years.  So maybe somewhere in between might be reasonable as an FMV.

I have been using the NGC values as a target, even though that may be a little low now, and have been able to find many of the ones I was missing for around or a little below that if I am patient.  But getting them at 70% to 75% of the NGC values is going to be a very tall order, which may not be realistic except as a rare find. 

[A representative example of one I am looking for to fill a gap is an 1892-CC in XF-40 grade.  NGC value is $550 and PCG$ value is $700.  Recent sold prices at GC for Nov 2022 thru Dec 2022 were $602, $619 and $655, and a little more at HA.  The average of the sold prices is about $625, or halfway between the NGC and PCG$ values.  If I'm patient I think scooping one for around or a little below the NGC value of $550 is possible.]

Edited by EagleRJO