• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Tokens: N. TERRILL'S SALON San Simeon Cal & The Kelly Canning Co. HUSKER'S CHECK 4c?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

So, I have had these tokens forever and have not really researched them until today and am wanting a little more info/value appraisal on them, as it is hard to find info on old tokens on the internet. Also, if I'm not supposed to ask about tokens on here just tell me and I won't do it again. Thanks.

S20230112_0001.jpg

S20230112_0002.jpg

S20230112_0003.jpg

S20230112_0004.jpg

Edited by Origami Master

The first two are picker tokens. Fruit and corn, cotton pickers would take their haul to canners and the like and be paid in tokens which they could use at a local store. I don’t know about the bar tokens. I can’t see a picker taking out their pay In liquor  or stogies

Edited by Mr.Bill347

The last one is an old "saloon token" which were distributed to get customers into a particular establishment, where they would presumably make other purchases ... like an all day happy hour. ;)

https://discover.hubpages.com/games-hobbies/Unusual-Hobbies-Collecting-Antique-Saloon-Tokens

I have some of the older tokens which reference my home state, like the attached ...

NY Token.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

The Iowa token is listed as Henderson 446b, and Token Catalog gives prices as follows:

Public Price Information from the Database
$9.99 - sold for $9.99 Feb. 2010
$13.01 - ebay sale may 2011
$26.01 - eBay sale 8/2018

Average Sales Price - $17.00

There are several more tokens from the same firm listed on the site Link here

The page for the California token is here Link

Edit: I see you found them on your own as I was typing my reply. (thumbsu

Edited by Just Bob

On 1/12/2023 at 11:40 PM, Origami Master said:

Do you know if there is a collector market for this kind of thing?

There is a market for them, although typically not of much value with some exceptions, and several token collectors associations including TAMS and NTCA.

I find some interesting enough to add one occasionally if I come across something I like and it's not much money, like the one I posted above which was around $10.

On 1/13/2023 at 12:02 AM, Origami Master said:

Where is the database?

I think the database JustBob was referring to with links is called Richards Token Database ... https://tokencatalog.com/

On 1/12/2023 at 10:40 PM, Origami Master said:

Do you know if there is a collector market for this kind of thing?

There is, but it’s thin and fanatical.