• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about 2016 British Gold Sovereign…HOT need answer today!
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Ok this is wayyy out there. A person on Facebook (of all the worst places to buy a coin). Is offering what appears to be a 2016 Gold Sovereign for $200.

is this crazy enough to purchase ? Person has agreed to allow me to weigh it and measure it and examine in in hand.!

8102F26B-B327-4ADF-AEF0-243E555DF6F8.jpeg

A7864D46-8CBA-4D55-A0C3-C7DD26633F74.jpeg

7394042C-4B96-4DA9-A8A3-842134B8E901.jpeg

Edited by Mr.Bill347

Only if it is genuine, hard to tell from those pictures, the eyes on the Queen do not look right.

Maybe there is a reason for them being out of focus.

Edited by Greenstang

The coin in the new, clearer photos is dated 2010, not 2016.

So, someone is selling a bullion coin containing about $450 in gold for $200?  "There is no Santa Claus in numismatics." I doubt there is one in bullion dealing either.  What if he takes your money and doesn't send you anything?

Compare to the fuzzy photos....

obv.jpg.684da8aef3ac3d5e8f5f165cb9e49479.jpg

rev2.jpg.52c52acbc0744bc2adfc2337d7f98d40.jpg

Whenever an on-line seller posts fuzzy photos, it is a warning that the seller is hiding a defect or a counterfeit. In this cased, it's a sloppy fake.

Edited by RWB

It is being sold by a local lady. I would be able to examine it in person, weigh it measure it, but being in coins for a while I am a skeptic about anything. Despite all that I agree with you. I’m gonna pass but I won’t be out $200

thanks Greenstang’

Ps it is already sold anyway.

Bill

Edited by Mr.Bill347

Bill. Step away from the computer or phone buddy. xD It scares me to think that you were contemplating pulling the trigger on this, even worse that someone else did, hopefully this turd actually contains some gold so as not to be a total loss to whomever bought it. 

On 1/12/2023 at 6:33 PM, EagleRJO said:

If it seems too good to be true ...

For reference it is pretty easy to do a basic side-by-side comparison as an initial check of a coin per the suggestion by RWB, which is one of the first things I do when considering any raw coin after looking into the seller info.

Just go to a NGC or PCS$ webpage that has pics of a legit coin, like the NGC price or variety guides or PCG$ CoinFacts.  For US coins I typically just go the the CoinFacts pics (can also use for grade), but with this coin you can look at the pics with the NGC World Coin Price Guide for a "Great Britain Sovereign 2010 Proof" ... https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/great-britain-sovereign-km-1002-2009-2011-cuid-43200-duid-425954

Displaying each side in split screen can be pretty revealing sometimes.

2010 British Gold Sovereign r.jpg

On 1/14/2023 at 5:14 PM, VKurtB said:

Her Majesty’s eyes and nose are ALL WRONG. 

There is a bunch of WRONG on both sides.