• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My introduction...

10 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2023 at 2:45 PM, jle123 said:

Hello all, My name is Jay and I have been asked to inventory and get a reasonable value for a collection of coins/silver/gold from my late father-in-law.  He lived and traveled around Europe in the 2000's and collected quite a few Thalers as well as some other world coins.  He also collected US coins - mainly Morgans and Peace dollars.  There is also some silver and gold bullion from various places.

If it is like most collections, 80-90% of the value will be in 10-20% of the coins, especially the gold ones.  So concentrate  there.

You might be able to sell individual coins worth a few $$$ solo and then sell the rest all in one group.  You'll get a fair price and also do it without occupying weeks or months of your time.

Let us know what interesting/valuable coins you find.  Good Luck !! (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

A numismatic appraiser will usually work on either a flat fee or a percentage of value (such as wholesale, retail, retention). Do not rely of the person appraising personal property - they almost never know anything about coins or precious metals.

You can make an inventory in advance. This will save time and help the appraiser concentrate on value not shuffling piles of coins. If you preliminary research indicate presence of several rare/expensive coins ($5,000 or greater) you can also consider contacting on of the major auction companies (Heritage, Stacks-Bowere) to see if they are interested in valuing the collection as possible auction material.

Please note that anyone can tell you what they think a coin is worth; only a appraiser can report this to the Court in your late father's jurisdiction.

Edited by RWB

On 1/10/2023 at 9:27 PM, RWB said:

A numismatic appraiser will usually work on either a flat fee or a percentage of value....

In my experience, an estate appraiser's compensation can't be contingent on the value of the property as determined by the appraiser. This would create an incentive for the appraiser to overvalue the property.

On 1/11/2023 at 8:43 AM, Sandon said:

In my experience, an estate appraiser's compensation can't be contingent on the value of the property as determined by the appraiser. This would create an incentive for the appraiser to overvalue the property.

True. However, numismatic appraisers hired by attorneys do not appear to follow that rule in the strict sense, particularly if the coins are largely bullion products or highly depreciated NCLT.

On 1/10/2023 at 3:11 PM, Sandon said:

In most if not all jurisdictions, the property of a deceased person's estate must be appraised by a qualified person who has no interest in the estate--which would not include the spouse of a person left property under the will--and the appraisal submitted to the probate court.  Your wife should discuss this with the estate's lawyer. Because of the specialized knowledge involved, coins should be appraised by a coin dealer or other person with substantial experience in numismatics and in this case with world as well as U.S. coins, not by a general personal property appraiser. That person could also provide advice on whether it would be worthwhile for the estate to incur the expenses involved in having any of the coins third party graded and also on how best to distribute or sell the coins.  The appraisal, which would likely be based on retail prices, would give you a guide as to what offers would be reasonable.

This thread is making me wonder if leaving my junky coins to my wife and kids is going to be a problem for them?  

On 1/11/2023 at 12:18 PM, J P M said:

This thread is making me wonder if leaving my junky coins to my wife and kids is going to be a problem for them?  

For sure JP! I don’t want my kids to end up spending valuable time with mine. I would rather sell them as a lot!

On 1/11/2023 at 10:27 AM, RWB said:

True. However, numismatic appraisers hired by attorneys do not appear to follow that rule in the strict sense, particularly if the coins are largely bullion products or highly depreciated NCLT.

I’ve seen too many “appraisers” in Pennsylvania who offer that “service” as a means to acquire the coins at a sick lowball price. It’s endemic.