• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little grading help on Indian Head Gold $2.50
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I've had this coin put away out of sight for a while. I was thinking of selling it and putting the money towards a higher grade slabbed example of the type.

When I got it out, it actually looked nicer than I thought. Nothing screams "details" to me, which I halfway expected since I remember getting it cheap at an LCS a few years ago.

I have almost no experience trying to grade these though. So I'd greatly appreciate some opinions. Any possibility it's a MS coin? Thanks in advance.

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

Based upon my collection of gold quarter eagles I am inclined to think it is in the AU category based upon scratches in field and wear on high points such as the band on the headdress. Of course, it may be the picture that is not clear. Per pics 1911 is AU58, 1926  is MS63

A58B3B68-3055-4C26-8FF0-4662AACF5C91.jpeg

0DFFC859-562F-4A3B-9736-55F478E55478.jpeg

I am solidly in the AU camp myself, the rev eagle shoulder is clean and does not seem to have any rub.   However, the obv headdress and feathers are screaming AU, maybe in hand or out of the 2X2 I would think differently.   Regardless it is a great looking coin and I think it would go AU58.

Edited by Coinbuf

Hold it up to face a piece of white paper, and look at the coin's surface. If you see any darker areas, the coin is not uncirculoated.

On 1/3/2023 at 6:09 AM, AdamWL said:

Here's the coin out of the 2x2

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5078.JPG

It is a nice coin . Now that it is out of the wrapper so to say. With the head dress ware, wing and arrows with the rim and other nicks I would call it a 50 maybe a bit higher if the graders are in a good mood