• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint Book
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Anyone ever read Don Taxay's "The US Mint and Coinage?" I bought it off Ebay a couple years ago. Havent really read it but Ive glanced through it a few times. Its full of interesting letters that were wrote back in the 1700s and 1800s. Also shows several coin designs and the designers and engravers of them. I may read it one these days. I was just wondering how accurate the information was. I know its copyright was in 1966 so I figured alot of the information is dated and new information may have been found now due to better technology to research with.  Anyone who has read it, is it pretty accurate?  PS: Thats weird how my thumb came out in the picture I took of it. Looks animated. Compress_20221228_224344_4799.thumb.jpg.20eeb11ff84116d2e25294838179e0ab.jpgCompress_20221228_224402_2548.thumb.jpg.4633038aecb29146cc8d3f70037077e8.jpg

On 12/29/2022 at 12:14 AM, Sandon said:

Taxay's book was well-known and highly regarded, at least at one time.  I frequently saw references to it by other authors.  I think I borrowed a copy from a library and read it in the mid or late 1970s.

From what little bit Ive read here and there in it it seems pretty interesting. I think I may just start on it and go cover to cover. Or at least read on it till my Washington quarter book comes in. Im off another week after this one so it would be a good time. 

ARCO?  The really surprising thing about your topic is the fact that I seriously doubt anyone who pursued their various studies in high school, college and beyond hadn't at one time or another used an Arco Publishing book to advance their educations or careers.  All the major exams one needed to take and pass to go to the school or career of their choice was put out by Arco. Entire sections of bookstores were set aside to accommodate their titles.  They virtually monopolized education and professional careers.

So to find this title, on the U.S. Mint and Coinage, was a real surprise.  It never even occurred to me that they would even carry a title like that.  Sorry I can't share any info about the book I never heard of.  Good thing Ol'hoop isn't around to find out the last time I went into a public library and asked where the card catalogues were I was told there weren't any and to add insult to injury they confiscated my cardboard library card (manually date-stamped 1969) telling me it was obsolete and issued me a plastic one with a bar code.   :roflmao:

On 12/29/2022 at 6:31 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

ARCO?  The really surprising thing about your topic is the fact that I seriously doubt anyone who pursued their various studies in high school, college and beyond hadn't at one time or another used an Arco Publishing book to advance their educations or careers.  All the major exams one needed to take and pass to go to the school or career of their choice was put out by Arco. Entire sections of bookstores were set aside to accommodate their titles.  They virtually monopolized education and professional careers.

So to find this title, on the U.S. Mint and Coinage, was a real surprise.  It never even occurred to me that they would even carry a title like that.  Sorry I can't share any info about the book I never heard of.  Good thing Ol'hoop isn't around to find out the last time I went into a public library and asked where the card catalogues were I was told there weren't any and to add insult to injury they confiscated my cardboard library card (manually date-stamped 1969) telling me it was obsolete and issued me a plastic one with a bar code.   :roflmao:

I still have a cardboard library card with the little metal plate on it, which is for a library in a town I lived in 6 moves ago. I also still have library privileges, and a plastic credit card sized card, for the Franklin & Marshall College library. I somehow lost my Penn State Dickinson law school library card. I still have lifetime privileges at the State Library in Harrisburg. Ironically, I have no Alabama library cards. Reading is not well thought of in the Deep South, I hear. OTOH, I do gain the right to concealed carry a firearm, with NO permit, in three days. And I’ve had an NRA sticker on my car for ten years. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/29/2022 at 9:52 PM, VKurtB said:

I still have a cardboard library card with the little metal plate on it, which is for a library in a town I lived in 6 moves ago. I also still have library privileges, and a plastic credit card sized card, for the Franklin & Marshall College library. I somehow lost my Penn State Dickinson law school library card. I still have lifetime privileges at the State Library in Harrisburg. Ironically, I have no Alabama library cards. Reading is not well thought of in the Deep South, I hear. OTOH, I do gain the right to concealed carry a firearm, with NO permit, in three days. And I’ve had an NRA sticker on my car for ten years. 

This book here came from a library in Alabama. Had an old stamp on it and the spot where u place the card to check it out. Last time it was checked out was in the early 80s. They passed it where we can carry without a permit a couple years ago. I still keep my CCDW card paid up though. Its handy if I want to buy a new toy. Dont have to go through all the 3 day wait mess. Just give them my card and take it home the same day. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 12/30/2022 at 12:50 AM, RWB said:

Just for fun, read Taxay's material on the "renaissance coinage" of the early 20th century, I think it's about 12 pages. Then look at my series Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908, 1909-1915, and 1916-1921 which is nearly 1,000 pages. That will gve you some idea of the increase in knowledge within the past 60 years.

I read a few pages in the middle of the book this evening and he dosent have a very high opinion of Franklin Peale. He spent 3 pages bashing him. He didnt give credit to him for his toggle press he invented. He mentioned others building it under the supervision of Peale. Didnt give Franklin any credit for it. All he wrote about it not once did he mention it Peale's toggle press. Unless he does later in the book somewhere.  That toggle press changed the game if you ask me. He mentioned more of those other guys that constructed it than Peale. He goes into detail about other peoples inventions but didnt say a whole lot about Franklins. Thats the one thing I see he could have improved on. I know Franklin done alot of bad things but if your trying to write a history book you still outta not leave important information out because you dont like someone. He mentioned  a few facts but he wrote quite a bit of his opinion also. He bashed Patterson pretty hard also but not as bad as Peale. He let the readers know right off the get go that he didnt like Peale. Peale done some bad things but I think he deserves alot of credit also for his inventions and improvements. Heres a page I came across. There are a few more also. Compress_20221230_112429_9564.thumb.jpg.aae8167147672ddb15aee557e1d187f7.jpg

Edited by Hoghead515

On 12/30/2022 at 12:50 AM, RWB said:

Just for fun, read Taxay's material on the "renaissance coinage" of the early 20th century, I think it's about 12 pages. Then look at my series Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908, 1909-1915, and 1916-1921 which is nearly 1,000 pages. That will gve you some idea of the increase in knowledge within the past 60 years.

...the classic brevity versus verbosity battle...an easy call....

After Peale was fired, the new Director did everything he could to discredit his work and to emphasize failures. My JNR Issue #2 describes in considerable detail Peale's accomplishments, roles and collaborations with others. As you correctly noted, Peale's inventions and innovations completely revised the Philadelphia Mint's equipment, operations, assays, quality control and capacity. All of his new equipment worked together. He also tried some things that were not very successful - such as an antiquated steam engine design - and improvements to drawbenches that did not make things better. Peale applied to Congress for $10,000 as compensation for his work but it was rejected because the Director said it was done on Government time and largely worthless.

On 12/30/2022 at 6:29 PM, RWB said:

Just for fun, read Taxay's material on the "renaissance coinage" of the early 20th century, I think it's about 12 pages. Then look at my series Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908, 1909-1915, and 1916-1921 which is nearly 1,000 pages. That will give you some idea of the increase in knowledge within the past 60 years.

[It's almost New year's Eve, so here's my little self-toot! Nearly all of that increase came from my 3-Little-Books, and my worn goose quill pen.]

[[ No, I have not been eating bean burritos....]]

You got goosed by a what???

Also, David W. Lange, plus Joel Orosz and Leonard Augsburger completely revised and corrected the US Mint and Coinage story -- and added other 700 pages of useful knowledge.

Edited by RWB

On 12/29/2022 at 5:47 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Anyone ever read Don Taxay's "The US Mint and Coinage?" I bought it off Ebay a couple years ago. Havent really read it but Ive glanced through it a few times. Its full of interesting letters that were wrote back in the 1700s and 1800s. Also shows several coin designs and the designers and engravers of them. I may read it one these days. I was just wondering how accurate the information was. I know its copyright was in 1966 so I figured alot of the information is dated and new information may have been found now due to better technology to research with.  Anyone who has read it, is it pretty accurate?  PS: Thats weird how my thumb came out in the picture I took of it. Looks animated. Compress_20221228_224344_4799.thumb.jpg.20eeb11ff84116d2e25294838179e0ab.jpgCompress_20221228_224402_2548.thumb.jpg.4633038aecb29146cc8d3f70037077e8.jpg
I really have been waiting for the moment for more than 5 months. I really want to chiait her. Everyone probably understands that a student has little time for this, at least for someone who really studies. The first time I asked for complete coursework for me, I found https://edubirdie.com/complete-coursework-for-me for this. This choice was not easy for me. But I'm really tired of all this, I want to take a short break. Only those who were and are in my place will understand me. Just have time to read the book. By the way, I have a large collection of coins.

Haven't read it, but I will.

Edited by petergrewww

On 12/28/2022 at 10:47 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Anyone ever read Don Taxay's "The US Mint and Coinage?" 

This is one weird guy.....disappeared in the 1970's....."friend" of Breen's.....maybe that explains it. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969