• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie question about total number of coins minted for any given year

6 posts in this topic

I understand that the mint produces a different amount of each coin, each year, and at each mint produces a different coin total for any given year. Then each mints total amount are added together to arrive at the total number of coins produce for that one year, but what I don't understand is how that number is held as accurate the following year, because even as new to this as I am I can clearly see the mint simply pulls the coins from every prior year and just stamps the next year over the last. It doest take a rocket scientist to figure out the whole reason behind the small/ large date on coins was to make this less noticeable.  So my question is why is there no deduction in coins produced for any year if the mint deducts from that very number and I'm sure starts doing do almost immediately and again im sure countinues doing so the entire year, in doing so wouldn't that drop that very number significantly, yet coin collectors stay true to that number as the year in which it was made up, I meant minted up without question. It just seems coin collecting for anyone just starting off like myself Is about as rigged as the federal reserve. 

On 12/26/2022 at 6:15 PM, Mike Kleinsmith said:

It just seems coin collecting for anyone just starting off like myself Is about as rigged as the federal reserve. 

This is a hobby, and the Fed controls the money supply. 

If you want rigged, join an off-shore oil crew. (thumbsu

Each US Mint produces coins with the current year's date on them. When the next years rolls over, blank planchets are struck from new dies with the new date. Previous year-dated coins are never over-struck.

Total production at each mint is simply the number of planchets struck, minus defective coins. Because of the large quantity of new coins required each year, only dollars ad half dollars are passed through counting machines. The other denominations are put into large Tyvek bags, weighed in bulk and the quantity calculated based on the legal weight of a single coin. The Mint's scales are extremely accurate, so deviations are small.

Occasional date size variations occur when the master die for a year is changed and the detail is slightly different. 20th century overdates occur when a die, which used to require several blows from a hub to be complete, is accidentally  struck once or twice with a hub from the prior year.