• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Nice Raw 1942 Proof Cent
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Greetings Al!

I know this aspect has been addressed before elsewhere, but would you mind specifying the tool used to effect "polishing"?  I assume a wire brush is out of the question, but what exactly are we talking about here, a camel's hair brush? 

Almost every possible way of polishing proof dies was tried. I'm not sure that any one method was adopted as "standard." More like what worked best for an assistant or diesinker.

I tried to explain the principle to my wife in English and all she could say was, ("Wee, bree-YO, byen soor!") or "Yes, Brillo,™️ of course!"  Her lovely smile deterred me from trying to pursue the matter further.  (shrug)

Polishing is done today with a cerium oxide lap matching the die radius. I've forgotten whether the die is polished first then laser etched for fake-frost, or if it's the other way around. The older way always involved polishing first, with re-dipping when relief frost faded. A frisket (relief mask) was also used for some years in the 70s-90s to protect the fields. These were hand cut, and a real time consuming task that (I recall) the engravers complaining about.