• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2008 clad error?

16 posts in this topic

Nope. The coin is not clad. It is zinc with a thin copper coating. 

Edited by VKurtB

It appears that someone painted this coin with a gold colored paint or polish. You can see places where the paint has chipped off, and the original copper plating is still present.  I can think of no way that the gold color could have been created during the minting process.  

On 12/20/2022 at 6:36 PM, dnico1988x said:

Hey, while I'm at it.... what about this?

Screenshot_20221220_163359_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20221220_163307_eBay.jpg

Studying the lighting angles that mark appears to be incuse. That means it could be a meandering scratch. 

I'd like to see a photo of the entire obverse of your 198? cent. The line, if raised as it appears to me, may be a legitimate, though not particularly valuable, error resulting from the die having been damaged by some hard object before the coin was struck.  If the line is incuse (sunken into the coin's surface) it could be a fairly common error resulting from the coin being struck through a thread or other piece of foreign matter that was lying on the die or the planchet. (If the coin is a 1982 or later copper-plated zinc cent, the line could just be a defect in the plating, such defects having been very common in the early years of this composition.)

On 12/20/2022 at 8:02 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Looks like a struck through string or thread. 

Some facial hair under the gold paint. 

On 12/20/2022 at 9:13 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Its on a different coin

Oh ,sorry I was thinking the same painted coin. I would say if it is raised it was a big gouge or void in the die, or it is a piece of displaced metal that has attached itself or pressed into the coin over the years.

On 12/21/2022 at 7:23 AM, J P M said:

Oh ,sorry I was thinking the same painted coin. I would say if it is raised it was a big gouge or void in the die, or it is a piece of displaced metal that has attached itself or pressed into the coin over the years.

Look at the lighting angles. The “thread” is incuse, NOT raised. It only LOOKS raised because the lighting is coming from below.