• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof error
1 1

31 posts in this topic

I had something simular happen on a brand new 2019 ASE. Looks like some corrosive chemical or material dropped on it at the mint. If I can find a picture of it ill share. I bought this coin straight from the mint. Lumii_20221220_074717365.jpg.00b4288e65d4acaea915eccf19f7922f.jpg

Edited by Hoghead515

Corrosion caused by minute surface contamination. The offending particle is at the center of the damage and might not be visible. Not repairable.

Each time proof or similar special coin is exposed to the air, the chances of this happening increase. Unless there is some compelling reason to remove from the original protective packaging, leave it alone.

Edited by RWB

On 12/20/2022 at 2:58 PM, Greenstang said:

Corrosion is not considered an error, it is damage.

Subject to what foreign object is causing the corrosion 

The coin came back from ngc with a straight grade not a damaged label or body bag 

Sheep 🐑 once one goes down the wrong road all go down the wrong road Kurt go get sheared don't you have packages to deliver 

So let me understand correct a coin graded from ngc as mint error pf67 Struck thru is nothing more then corrosion and damage ok got it thanks for all the help you guys are great 

On 12/20/2022 at 7:30 PM, B.C said:

Sheep 🐑 once one goes down the wrong road all go down the wrong road Kurt go get sheared don't you have packages to deliver 

So let me understand correct a coin graded from ngc as mint error pf67 Struck thru is nothing more then corrosion and damage ok got it thanks for all the help you guys are great 

Please show us the slab.

Would it really be fair to accuse our members of incompetence under these circumstances? 

Did I ask for anyone's advice on the grade did I ask if it's an error worth sending to ngc did I ask if anyone agreed with ngc NO I asked if anyone could Id the only part of importance but I now see you all need a label to guess it's corrosion 

In any event, if the coin was already certified as an error, you didn't need their help and wasted their time.

Ngc uses a blanket title which usually isn't good enough for me I like to determine what was struck thru your all wasting my time by blowing smoke about nothing I asked look at you talking grades when the thing is graded how dumb

On 12/20/2022 at 6:15 PM, B.C said:

Subject to what foreign object is causing the corrosion 

The coin came back from ngc with a straight grade not a damaged label or body bag 

Everyone is trying to help but you only gave us half the information. A straight grade was said.

You also said........So let me understand correct a coin graded from ngc as mint error pf67 Struck thru is nothing more then corrosion and damage ok got it thanks for all the help you guys are great 

On 12/20/2022 at 9:54 PM, B.C said:

Would it really be fair to accuse our members of incompetence under these circumstances? 

Did I ask for anyone's advice on the grade did I ask if it's an error worth sending to ngc did I ask if anyone agreed with ngc NO I asked if anyone could Id the only part of importance but I now see you all need a label to guess it's corrosion 

In any event, if the coin was already certified as an error, you didn't need their help and wasted their time.

Ngc uses a blanket title which usually isn't good enough for me I like to determine what was struck thru your all wasting my time by blowing smoke about nothing I asked look at you talking grades when the thing is graded how dumb

Now it is a error coin ? Almost everyone said it is corrosion from whatever is on or in the coin. We can not say what it is, only what has happened to it. I am not sure what you would like from us. You say we are wasting your time? I think it is the other way around. 

Edited by J P M

Another con man OP. Say it ain’t so, Joe! If NGC did actually call that coin a strike through, then NGC was wrong. It’s contamination. And even though you never showed the last two digits of the date, it’s in the 1992-1998 interval - the Spaghetti hair era. 

Edited by VKurtB

Questions and thoughts. 

Maybe the error is on a different part of the coin and we can't see it. 

Did NGC call it (struck thru)?

Maybe the spot was not there or was tiny when the coin was graded? 

I can't see NGC giving the coin a 67 with a spot that ugly. 

An image of the slab would help set a time frame for when the coin was graded. 

It's almost impossible to say for sure what landed on the coin to create a spot such as this.

We can only guess.

On 12/20/2022 at 8:30 PM, B.C said:

Dude, it's corrosion. Period.

I dont think it even has strike through. I seriously dont think the label says it does neither or he would have been quick to show proof. If it is struck through its somewhere else on the coin. Its not that spot.  Just another person who is mad because no one will agree that its something its not. 

On 12/23/2022 at 4:02 AM, l.cutler said:

Well he keeps checking in here but won’t reply or post the pictures, read what you want into that!

Or it's got so creepy with the stalking he could careless about a quarter 

On 12/22/2022 at 9:29 AM, Hoghead515 said:

I dont think it even has strike through. I seriously dont think the label says it does neither or he would have been quick to show proof. If it is struck through its somewhere else on the coin. Its not that spot.  Just another person who is mad because no one will agree that its something its not. 

Or he can't carry his entire collection in his front pockets like some ⬆️