• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keeper Or No ?
2 2

15 posts in this topic

According to the "Redbook", this collectors' issue (identified by the "W" mintmark) had a mintage of only 2,481.  If you like to collect such issues, it's a "keeper".  After all, no more than another 2,480 collectors can own one at the same time.  I don't know whether there will ever be a great deal of demand for them.

On 12/19/2022 at 5:40 PM, Sandon said:

According to the "Redbook", this collectors' issue (identified by the "W" mintmark) had a mintage of only 2,481.  If you like to collect such issues, it's a "keeper".  After all, no more than another 2,480 collectors can own one at the same time.  I don't know whether there will ever be a great deal of demand for them.

Cool. You happen to know the significance of the blindfold on the reverse?

Collectors' issues of platinum bullion coins made since 1998 have featured annual commemorative reverses instead of the flying eagle and rising sun used on the regular issues. The 2008 reverse commemorates the judicial branch of government and depicts the traditionally blindfolded--and thereby impartial--allegorical figure holding the scales of justice.

On 12/19/2022 at 7:34 PM, Sandon said:

Collectors' issues of platinum bullion coins made since 1998 have featured annual commemorative reverses instead of the flying eagle and rising sun used on the regular issues. The 2008 reverse commemorates the judicial branch of government and depicts the traditionally blindfolded--and thereby impartial--allegorical figure holding the scales of justice.

Cool. Thanks..

On 12/19/2022 at 8:34 PM, Sandon said:

The 2008 reverse commemorates the judicial branch of government and depicts the traditionally blindfolded--and thereby impartial--allegorical figure holding the scales of justice.

I believe you can do a lot better than that.  The blindfold became a necessity when it was learned may workers went blind after glancing at her alluring features up close, day-after,day for God knows how long.  That is why depictions of her her over the centuries have placed her on a high place.

]Now you and I----and possibly our error guy----now the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.]  :roflmao:

On 12/19/2022 at 6:40 PM, Sandon said:

According to the "Redbook", this collectors' issue (identified by the "W" mintmark) had a mintage of only 2,481.  If you like to collect such issues, it's a "keeper".  After all, no more than another 2,480 collectors can own one at the same time.  

Just saw this thread.

Sure, buy it if the buyer likes it as a collectible. But while the mintage is low, this isn't a low number for any coin in close to comparable quality.  2481 also isn't a low enough number where this coin will ever be difficult to buy.

On 12/19/2022 at 6:40 PM, Sandon said:

I don't know whether there will ever be a great deal of demand for them.

My answer is "no".

This coin is included in the "Top 50" moderns book profiled in two old threads on this forum.  I never posted in either but will revisit the topic in the near future.  

Evidently, when I checked this coin in the "Redbook" over a year ago, I mistakenly looked at the mintage for the quarter ounce, $25 denomination coin, which is reported as 2,481 pieces. The 2,253 piece figure is reported for the half ounce, $50 denomination.

Quoting from what I have just read... "Will [there] ever be a great demand for them?"  "No." 

Some 2,253 pieces, platinum, 2008.  And yet a 1995-W Proof Silver Eagle with a run of 30,125 pieces, literally went through the roof. Why?  I remember when they were going for $30,000.  Another forum member, if memory serves, reported seeing one go for as high as $100K.

So why the disparity in price for one precious metal, less "precious" than yours, silver vs platinum, minted in a great many times more than yours?  For one, it had the lowest mintage run of any such Proof Silver Eagle to date, and more to the point, if you wished to acquire one, you had to purchase the complete proof set which is where actual demand became skewed by coin dealers and hobbyists who recognized a rare investment opportunity when they saw one and jumped right in. (A sampling of them as posted on eBay today revealed prices, in the thousands of dollars, but all over the place. This is in keeping with the fickle nature of coins, generally.

If you are pleased with your acquisition, others' opinions are not important. When I sent my sister a gold Rooster, her candid response was, Why this, and not an Angel? That's gratitude for you.  My feeling is if you're proud enough to post it publicly on a thread, it has meaning for you.  It's a keeper. (thumbsu