• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are not Roman Empire coins accepted for competitive sets?

5 posts in this topic

There are so many thousands of different types and varieties of ancient coins that it would be extremely difficult to define the parameters of how many slots a set would have or what coins would qualify for a particular slot.  Think of all the different portrait styles and reverses of the denarii or other issues of any longer-ruling Roman emperor!  The grading of these coins is also very complex, and it would be difficult to program the number of points that would be awarded for any particular coin in a manner that most participants would regard as fair. I doubt that either NGC or PCGS will ever offer competitive registry sets for ancient coins. (I don't think PCGS even certifies/grades ancients.)

NGC does offer the option to create custom sets that allow a collector the opportunity to display a collection in accordance with the collector's own taste.  NGC awards several prizes for custom sets, including one for "Best Ancient Custom Set".  See The NGC Registry Awards | NGC (ngccoin.com).

• Administrator
On 12/15/2022 at 10:18 AM, Sandon said:

There are so many thousands of different types and varieties of ancient coins that it would be extremely difficult to define the parameters of how many slots a set would have or what coins would qualify for a particular slot.  Think of all the different portrait styles and reverses of the denarii or other issues of any longer-ruling Roman emperor!  The grading of these coins is also very complex, and it would be difficult to program the number of points that would be awarded for any particular coin in a manner that most participants would regard as fair. I doubt that either NGC or PCGS will ever offer competitive registry sets for ancient coins. (I don't think PCGS even certifies/grades ancients.)

NGC does offer the option to create custom sets that allow a collector the opportunity to display a collection in accordance with the collector's own taste.  NGC awards several prizes for custom sets, including one for "Best Ancient Custom Set".  See The NGC Registry Awards | NGC (ngccoin.com).

Thanks for sharing helpful information, Sandon, we appreciate it. That link is for the 2021 awards. We have 7 Custom Set awards for 2022: The award types may/do change over time.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/10058/.

• Administrator
On 12/16/2022 at 1:29 AM, Joseph Gregor said:

thank you for  sharing. I agree, it would be extremely difficult but so much fun!

Hello, Joseph.

Yes, due to the complex, unique nature and subjectivity of value for ancient coins, establishing competitive sets and attempting to assign registry "scores" to ancient coins would be a very difficult task. Their value individually and in relation to each other is very difficult to ascertain fairly, and this provides the basis for competitive set building. You may enter them into a Custom NGC Registry set. Thanks for your interest and feedback.