• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another awesome find to me

15 posts in this topic

Looks like it might be replated (very common in steelies). The zinc tended to wear off, exposing the easily corroded steel beneath. In any case we can't really tell from those photos. Trouble is, getting good shots of shiny steelies is a difficult process. Let's just say that odds heavily favor a grading disappointment.

Enormous numbers of 1943 zinc coated steel Lincoln cents from all mints that darkened have been re-plated. They are essentially worthless. I can't tell from your distant, blurry, overexposed photos whether yours is original or re-plated. An original piece is bright but frosty, not shiny.  Even if original it wouldn't be worth third-party grading unless it graded MS 66 (just barely worth it) or higher (rare).  A legitimate uncertified uncirculated specimen can be bought for a few dollars and stored in an inexpensive holder or album. A grading service holder isn't airtight and wouldn't necessarily preserve it any more effectively.

If you want to spend $50, please spend it on some of the resources to which I directed you, or at least on a coin worth at least $50!

Your 1987 CENT is just toning from some sort of of environmental exposure, it is only worth 1 cent either way.

On your 1943 steel cent, just look at the edge. If you see the steel core, it is original. If it is shiny like the rest of the coin, then it has been plated.

In the future, please crop your photos. This will help enlarge them.

Much easier, and better than most people would do (me included, probably). Here's what's hard. It's so difficult to know what the actual color looks like from pics. I happen to have a really nice set of all three mints--one of the first numismatic gifts my parents gave me when I was 7 or so, and preserved intact these past 52 years--so I have a set of known original surfaces to look at. This does not look much like mine.

There's something a little too bright about these, and the streaking on reverse makes me wonder. There's a good chance this one's replated, but I can't swear to that. The part that most makes me think so is the wheat lines. See how some of them have some flatness, and on the right side some are merged together at the top 2mm or so? To me that suggests a circulated coin that was replated because shiny shiny (not by your relative, of course).

Your coin may be original, but it doesn't appear to be a high-grade specimen (MS66 or higher).  I recommend that, if possible, you go to coin shows in your area and look at certified specimens or uncertified pieces in the inventories of reputable dealers of the coins you want to collect or already have. In addition to reading about coins, you have to learn what they're supposed to look like.  You may also benefit from joining a coin club.

I happen to own a 1943 steel cent certified MS 66 by PCGS, for which I paid $50 just to be able to fill a registry set slot for the type.  While the photos don't show the exact appearance of the coin, note the quality of the strike and the bright, frosty (not shiny) surface.

33122194_1943centobv..jpg.48a17aa7db1b719218f508dca3fb7212.jpg124757243_1943centrev..jpg.ea0f1a6fd7eafe57adf8a835ce48b8cb.jpg

I'm no expert but it doesn't look replanted to me guys I own a set of replated 1943 steel cents they sparkle it was from Littleton and to me yours looks to be original a replanted coin coin has a layer mark at the rim however I don't believe its worth Grading it has a nick on the reverse of the rim or is that where some sort of heating element touched it in the replating process. If that's replated It is only very lightly. Then again I see for burn marks two on the obverse two on the reverse so they might be right replated!

Kim, your last photos were just fine. Don’t believe your 43 is plated. Just a good find. I too have a set of 3 1943 zinc cents ms65. They are hard to find not corroded. Be exited about your find and encapsulate it soon to help prevent corrosion. Welcome.

09B615A6-3720-421E-9EAD-F0F2B28D4BFB.jpeg

7305999D-D5F5-45A0-9083-E5EA1F828E48.jpeg

On 12/12/2022 at 12:08 PM, Sunbunnykim said:

How do I find out? What makes the penny change to rainbow colors? Is it a junk coin when it looks like that? Now I'm really bothered about the steel Penny.  How souls I know if it's got the zinc paint

7E75CC1B-2C3C-438B-B4F1-B0F877BFBE67.jpeg

This 87-D has changed color because it was exposed to the environment, perhaps buried in the ground for a short while, or perhaps even some household chemical or soap, even a trip through the washer being exposed to the detergent can do this to copper coins.   This would not be graded by any competent grading company and you would be wasting money sending in this coin.   That does not mean that you cannot keep and hold onto it, if you find it pretty and attractive to you then by all means you can and should keep it.   We just want you to know what you have and not be misled.

It is difficult to say for sure on the 1943 steelie from the photos, follow the advice already given and look at the edge of the coin.   My guess is that the coin is original but again is not valuable enough to warrant spending money to have it graded and slabbed.