• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I bought 40 large cents today

18 posts in this topic

As the title says I purchased 40 large cents and it came out of knowhere. I was talking to a friend at a store telling him I made a purchase of a beautiful standing liberty quarter which I will be posting. A women was near us and heard us talking. She asked me if I collect coins and I told her "honestly I just started but I am learning". All that's very true. I spent an hour an a half at a local coin shop and made a nice purchase and got a decent education. Great dealer very helpful.

She told me she had a baggie full of old pennies and if I was interested in them I could have them/buy them. I told her that I couldn't give her an honest appraisal and she told me she wasnt to  concerned about the money if I would enjoy them. So I told her if she wanted to meet me back at the same store we could put a figure on them and I would buy them. So that's what I did. I tried to be fair and I may have even paid her to much or I could have bought maybe even just one coin that would be well worth it.

I could use some help here!

Some of them have holes so I will set them aside but 30 of them are decent and I can see differences in many of them so possible varieties. I've been trying to do research but it's all over the place. If I can get some decent images up can you guys help me out?

Edited by Standby

I have many more but they have holes or look pretty worn and show no dates. I'll probably sell them all on ebay unless I have a couple of good ones worth keeping here. If anyone sees anything that would add to their collection let me know. I am open for a trade. I'm not looking to make money here.

20221211_184835.jpg

20221211_184849.jpg

20221211_184903.jpg

20221211_184919.jpg

20221211_184932.jpg

Something is odd about this coin. It has absolutely no sign of having ever said "one cent". Even under high magnification. It also has some graffiti? Although one of the letters appears to be raised like a die Crack type of effect its in the shape of an A almost not carved into the copper like a couple of the other letters you see. I'll take some images under magnification just for kicks.

20221211_192156.jpg

20221211_192212.jpg

20221211_194034.jpg

20221211_194114.jpg

20221211_194130.jpg

20221211_194141.jpg

20221211_194202.jpg

Edited by Standby

It depends upon what you mean by "varieties".

If you're talking about determining whether you have any rare dates or grades or "naked eye" varieties of value, a "Redbook", grading guide and current price list are basically all that you need to do this yourself. Grading and determining whether the coins are impaired takes some experience, which you can acquire by studying these resources and by examining the coins.  (As I recall, I previously referred you to my "Resources for New Collectors" topic.)

If you're talking about attributing these coins by the many hundreds of different "Sheldon" (1793-1814) and "Newcomb" (1816-57) die varieties, this requires specialized reference books and experience and may be difficult to do from photos.  It's often difficult or impossible to do on well-worn coins and always difficult to do on most pieces dated after 1836, as all elements of the dies except the date were at that point punched from a single "hub", so the only differences are the placement and occasional repunchings of the date and die polish marks and die cracks that are often invisible on worn or corroded coins. Relatively few of these varieties are worth a significant premium over common varieties of the date in equivalent and, as they are rare, they are seldom found.  While NGC "VarietyPlus" and PCGS Coinfacts have photos of many of these varieties, they do not include the written descriptions that explain what characteristics to look for to attribute the coins. Someone might have the time to attribute all of them, but I don't. I can tell you what books you need if you're interested in attributing them yourself and are willing to spend $100 or more for them.  (There may be an online attribution site of which I'm unaware.)

While I was typing this reply, you posted photos of a number of these coins. They are mostly common dates that are severely impaired by corrosion, heavy damage, or holes. Such coins are referred to as "culls" and are of little value (a few dollars apiece to a young collector). They are probably unattributable Several others are excessively worn (Fair to About Good) and also of little value. The 1810 may be worth $20 or so to someone notwithstanding the hole. The 1838 and the 1847 are, based on their obverses, in collectible circulated (Fine to Very Fine) grades for budget collectors.  You can look up the values in a current price guide.

The 1834 whose reverse you posted is an 1834 large 8, small stars, medium letters "Redbook" variety, probably a common N-3. (The N-4 is only slightly scarce.) It's impaired by scratches, and the missing "One Cent" is almost certainly due to wear or damage. 

The 1839 and the 1840 are also varieties that are listed in the Redbook. What are they?  Post your answer, and I'll tell you if you're right.

1839 is a silly head(I think)

1840 I believe is a small date.

I want to me tion that I didn't mind taking a shot and being fair to this person. It was 40 large cents and she would have taken a low offer im sure but I wouldn't have felt good about it. I think it was a win/win. Although as I was leaving she was banging away on those dam scratch tickets. She has my telephone number and told me she will call me next week. She has lots more coins she told me. They were her husband who passed on and she has no use for them. So who knows maybe I can buy something nice for a fair price.

BTW thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm not expecting any major home runs here. I'd be happy to pass them all on to a collector of this type. I wasn't about to say "no thanks". 

Edited by Standby

The 1839 is a "Booby Head". The point at the back of the bust is visible even in this low grade.  There should be no line on the reverse under word "CENT". The "Silly Head" has a line under "CENT".  You're correct that the 1840 is a "Small Date".

It was a toss up. I'm still learning but learning well. I joined a local coin club so I will enjoy this hobby the way it should be, for the enjoyment of learning and collecting. I have made several purchases I feel good about. I spent some serious money but I do know as with any hobby or collection we need to buy the best we can afford except for the occasional fluke like this. I'm not concerned I see no downside and even if there were I guarantee when I meet her next week with her silver coins I will have a better idea of what I'm doing. She told me they were all from the same Era as the large cents so I'm hoping to see some bust dimes, quarters and halves and possibly others. I hope I'm right!

Thank you for being helpful.

I must admit that this is not really my area of collecting. I want to learn so I will check those links out. As for this group of 40 large cents they are not for my collection. It's either of to ebaY or someone who wants them. Im not interested im making money on them. They do seem to do okay on ebay though. Not big money but I'm comfortable.

I used it to day at an antique store trying to determine a type for a man trying to sell it to me we came to the conclusion the coin was an N6 1856 end result I wanted to pay 10 dollars for it, it was well worn and polished and almost worthless and the business man wanted 45 dollars for it. I just bought a lot he had for sale instead. I feel you got to support local businesses otherwise they will disappear and their will be nowhere to buy coins. Unfortunately I paid 63 dollars for about 83 dollars worth of coins but just going off the red books G4 price not actually doing the grading work! 

On 12/11/2022 at 6:37 PM, Standby said:

Thank you for being helpful.

I must admit that this is not really my area of collecting. I want to learn so I will check those links out. As for this group of 40 large cents they are not for my collection. It's either of to ebaY or someone who wants them. Im not interested im making money on them. They do seem to do okay on ebay though. Not big money but I'm comfortable.

I use craigslist because then the coins stay local for local collectors plus ebay charges $40 per month, .36 cents a post, and 12 percent at time of sale! 

That's a good point. I also us Offer Up for stuff. I haven't tried coins but I will. Who knows maybe I will meet another collector and trade. I am focusing on early silver coins from bust series to walking liberty halves, bust quarters to standing liberty and my favorite coin of all the mercury dime.

That's it for now. So if you know someone who might want this group I can take images of the other coins and I'll be happy to pass them on to be enjoyed!

On 12/11/2022 at 6:50 PM, Standby said:

That's a good point. I also us Offer Up for stuff. I haven't tried coins but I will. Who knows maybe I will meet another collector and trade. I am focusing on early silver coins from bust series to walking liberty halves, bust quarters to standing liberty and my favorite coin of all the mercury dime.

That's it for now. So if you know someone who might want this group I can take images of the other coins and I'll be happy to pass them on to be enjoyed!

If you like those check out my post found in change or otherwise obtained I got a few mercury dimes and a walking liberty yesterday. I would gladly trade the coins I got for your large cents however I don't think you can do that on this website better ask Sandon how a trade can be achieved. I I paid 63 dollars for the lot and I got the thing for twenty dollars under wholesale and the retail red book price is much higher. I do know however their are no names no addresses no numbers on this site for safety sake. You know who really loves the large cents is coin community .com they have free give away's daily you never know what they will have a contest for next and I like it but have never won anything. Mostly the pillars of the community do givaway's and the site is free however If I won anything I would use my PO box not my home address and by the way I was wrong when I said I figured out what the antique shop owners coin was it was a n-16 not a N-6 sorry for that. On second thought I looked over the large cents you got and I have all those date and wouldn't really be interested in a trade sorry. My guess is that your local coin club may be able to help you. I recently reached out to a local coin collector to find some new coins and maybe make some trades and upgrades but he specialized in gold but I asked to shadow him at the 2023 Oregon coin shows because I have never been to one! Sorry about the mix up I hope you find some one to trade with your large cents look to be worth about $10 a piece that should be more than enough to get a few walking liberties. If I were you I would watch the tutorials on money.org on how to collect they point out that any new collector should try to obtain the low mintage key dates first in the best condition they can afford so that they can complete the set within a life time. For Example if your into the walking Liberty half Dollars the lowest mintage coin I believe is the 1921-d but be careful to research whether or not another coin in the series has a lower survival rate among collectors for example a 1909-s Indian head cent may be one of the rarest coins in the series a collector may choose to buy an 1877 Indian head cent first because the survival rate of the coin is very low. I would try to get and 1857 large cent and a 1794 large cent due to the mintage but I think the coins I can afford are far to ugly for my taste. I once tried to buy a 1857 large cent online but after making the purchase the seller contacted me and told me he changed his mind which was a shock but on some websites other than ebay they allow it. Some sites are a sellers market and some sites focus on customer service first customers first and others not. Be careful on coin community.com their are some great folks and some professionals but not all are good where here feels much safer where their they may have a few bad Apples because it's free to join and lets face it nothing is free! Take it easy and Good Luck Welcome to NGC!

I’ve been spoiled by my years in south central Pennsylvania, I guess. It’s a region with an embarrassment of numismatic riches. Not one of the cents you’ve shown here could grab a spot in my collection, and my pieces are ALL raw. There’s just too much damage shown here. It is ridiculously easy to acquire raw high quality material in the region where I grew up. Where I live now? Not s’much. 

On 12/11/2022 at 7:27 PM, Standby said:

Something is odd about this coin. It has absolutely no sign of having ever said "one cent". Even under high magnification. It also has some graffiti? Although one of the letters appears to be raised like a die Crack type of effect its in the shape of an A almost not carved into the copper like a couple of the other letters you see. I'll take some images under magnification just for kicks.

20221211_192156.jpg

20221211_192212.jpg

20221211_194034.jpg

20221211_194114.jpg

20221211_194130.jpg

20221211_194141.jpg

20221211_194202.jpg

On this one:

As you mentioned, the "ONE CENT" does not show.

Most likely cause was someone had intended to make a "Love Token" out of it by engraving someone's initials on the reverse center.

Just as on the obverse you have the initials "TH" and other marks.