• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not sure what it is.

9 posts in this topic

This is almost certainly some sort of fake. I doubt the seller is being truthful about seeing it struck at the Carson City mint museum.  As I recall there were some cancelled dies found buried near the mint some years ago, but they were rusted and wouldn't have produced a "coin" that looked like this.

On 12/8/2022 at 11:10 AM, Sandon said:

This is almost certainly some sort of fake. I doubt the seller is being truthful about seeing it struck at the Carson City mint museum.  As I recall there were some cancelled dies found buried near the mint some years ago, but they were rusted and wouldn't have produced a "coin" that looked like this.

...possibly one of Daniel's fantasy issues?...correct on the buried dies they were from seated issues 1870's....

Two things this thing's got going for it:

1-  the coin, all other things being equal, is of a purer persuasion: .999 fine vs. .900 fine, and

2-  the seller has "100% positive feedback.

Unfortunately, its eye appeal, to me, is negative three.  I fail to see the point in "minting" anything that requires you to manually cross-score (gouge out) a side.  Why wouldn't a counter-punch suffice?  Why would it even be necessary to do anthing at all if the reverse is blank? I have never found desecration to be charming.

On 12/8/2022 at 7:51 PM, Greenstang said:

A Chinese counterfeit die that has been defaced then minted. Wonder how many more are out there.

...doubtful it is chinese if its .999 silver....

On 12/8/2022 at 8:57 PM, zadok said:

...doubtful it is chinese if its .999 silver....

If the story about how the coin was acquired is false, the statement that it is .999 silver is likely false, too.

According to Daniel Carr, the 1884 die that was used to strike examples at the Nevada State Museum (the old Carson City mint) was paired with a CC reverse from 1878.I found an example struck in copper here: Link

1884CopperStrike.jpg

On 12/8/2022 at 10:50 PM, Just Bob said:

According to Daniel Carr, the 1884 die that was used to strike examples at the Nevada State Museum (the old Carson City mint) was paired with a CC reverse from 1878.I found an example struck in copper here: Link

1884CopperStrike.jpg

...nice to know, im sure the vam collectors could easily verify that die pairing....