• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 S not a variety

19 posts in this topic

Hello I’m new here. I looking for some input on a 1969 S with a partial dropped letter inside the O on ONE. Does anyone know of any other error for this year other than DDO?1689FAF8-D600-4069-BBB3-1045DB2CCB31.thumb.jpeg.bfd47dc6ab7443762a6acbe8b4e46ebe.jpeg

75065224-7FDB-488F-B2E8-580AE6C0C8C9.jpeg

Thank you for the fast response. It looks to me to be a partial leg of the N that dropped inside O. The serif is identical. I can’t find any error die chip or other for 1969 S other than the DDO. It is a variety year. Would it be worth getting authenticated?

On 12/5/2022 at 1:04 PM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Chatbox

It looks like it could be a small die chip.

Common and not considered an error.

Thank you

What is the difference between a dropped letter/filling?

On 12/5/2022 at 1:17 PM, Posso said:

Thank you

What is the difference between a dropped letter/filling?

On 12/5/2022 at 1:23 PM, RWB said:

It's a little die chip. Not to be confused with a buffalo chip or a pigeon drop. Only value is to chip collectors and lovers of blue lines.

:)

Hah, I'm starting to like it here already. 

On 12/5/2022 at 3:14 PM, Posso said:

Would it be worth getting authenticated?

NGC (and the other major grading services) won't attribute a die chip or other minor error or die variety on a grading service holder.  You'd spend $50 or so on grading fees, attribution fees, and shipping costs and get the coin back in a holder identified as a normal 1969-S cent graded AU 58BN or so (Choice About Uncirculated) and not worth much more than its one cent face value. If it interests you, it can be properly stored in a mylar (not soft vinyl) flip, a hard plastic holder, or a coin album.

If you want to learn what types of errors and varieties are valued by most collectors, the "error-ref.com" site is one resource, as is "doubleddie.com". For a more basic or introductory resource, go to the NGC home page (ngccoin.com) and type "mint errors" into the search bar at the right next to the "Resources" tab. This will retrieve a series of articles about mint errors, beginning with "Learn Grading: What is a Mint Error", Parts 1 through 4.  If you move your cursor to the "Resources" bar, the "VarietyPlus" resource will show the die varieties that NGC will attribute, mostly for the payment of an additional $18 fee.

If you're new to the collection of United States coins generally, see the following topic that I posted for basic resources to learn about the coins and their pricing and grading:

RESOURCES FOR NEW COLLECTORS - Newbie Coin Collecting Questions - NGC Coin Collectors Chat Boards (Right click for menu to open)

On 12/5/2022 at 3:57 PM, Sandon said:

NGC (and the other major grading services) won't attribute a die chip or other minor error or die variety on a grading service holder.  You'd spend $50 or so on grading fees, attribution fees, and shipping costs and get the coin back in a holder identified as a normal 1969-S cent graded AU 58BN or so (Choice About Uncirculated) and not worth much more than its one cent face value. If it interests you, it can be properly stored in a mylar (not soft vinyl) flip, a hard plastic holder, or a coin album.

If you want to learn what types of errors and varieties are valued by most collectors, the "error-ref.com" site is one resource, as is "doubleddie.com". For a more basic or introductory resource, go to the NGC home page (ngccoin.com) and type "mint errors" into the search bar at the right next to the "Resources" tab. This will retrieve a series of articles about mint errors, beginning with "Learn Grading: What is a Mint Error", Parts 1 through 4.  If you move your cursor to the "Resources" bar, the "VarietyPlus" resource will show the die varieties that NGC will attribute, mostly for the payment of an additional $18 fee.

If you're new to the collection of United States coins generally, see the following topic that I posted for basic resources to learn about the coins and their pricing and grading:

RESOURCES FOR NEW COLLECTORS - Newbie Coin Collecting Questions - NGC Coin Collectors Chat Boards (Right click for menu to open)

Thank you for your information. I will be getting the correct holder for it, as it is I’ve been using sterile gloves to handle it. The thought In getting it authenticated was to have record of it, no other records exist for the 1969 S other than the DDO. I had several heart attacks. I just want to put everything in an orderly fashion. If you know what I mean. I guess it wouldn’t matter though.

Thanks again 

On 12/5/2022 at 9:09 PM, Posso said:

I will be getting the correct holder for it, as it is I’ve been using sterile gloves to handle it. The thought In getting it authenticated was to have record of it, no other records exist for the 1969 S other than the DDO.

For your 1969-S Cent what you have is contact damage to the lower part of the "O" as well as a minor die chip inside the "O" as others have already noted [see attached marked pic of you're coin].

The die chip is not a dropped letter error.  You can check out this error-ref.com page for dropped letter errors here ...   https://www.error-ref.com/struck-through_dropped_filling/.  Also, see this error-ref.com page for die chips ... https://www.error-ref.com/die-chips/#:~:text=Definition%3A A small piece (less,lump in the affected area.

I understand your desire to document the die chip error, but it is a very minor and common error, and really doesn't add any value to the coin.  It would be about $100 to submit the coin to NGC, and they would just grade it and put it in a holder.  If you want to keep it, I would just put it in your own holder or flip and label it as AU-58BN as Sandon noted, and add "Minor Die Chip".

1969-S Cebt Diw Chip.jpg

If this die chip--which it appears to me to be--were not next to this rather minor though grade-limiting tiny little ding in the O, we would hardly even notice the little ding. It's unfortunate it's located next to the ding because I think the proximity is pure coincidence.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:42 AM, EagleRJO said:

For your 1969-S Cent what you have is contact damage to the lower part of the "O" as well as a minor die chip inside the "O" as others have already noted [see attached marked pic of you're coin].

The die chip is not a dropped letter error.  You can check out this error-ref.com page for dropped letter errors here ...   https://www.error-ref.com/struck-through_dropped_filling/.  Also, see this error-ref.com page for die chips ... https://www.error-ref.com/die-chips/#:~:text=Definition%3A A small piece (less,lump in the affected area.

I understand your desire to document the die chip error, but it is a very minor and common error, and really doesn't add any value to the coin.  It would be about $100 to submit the coin to NGC, and they would just grade it and put it in a holder.  If you want to keep it, I would just put it in your own holder or flip and label it as AU-58BN as Sandon noted, and add "Minor Die Chip".

1969-S Cebt Diw Chip.jpg

Thank you for that advice. Au-58BN you say. I will go with that note on the holder label. One less thing I need to do, much appreciated. 👍👍👍 up too you.