• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latex Finger Gloves

11 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone uses the latex finger gloves like the attached when handling coins, which I have heard some prefer for other than handling coins by the edges.  I really dislike the full hand latex/nitrile gloves and the cotton ones I use can be a little slippery.

Latex Finger Gloves.jpg

@Hoghead515Interesting use.  Gotta save those condoms. (:

@ldhairThanks.  I think I would rather just be a little more careful with the cotton gloves so the dirt ends up on them instead of other coins, and regularly toss them [the gloves, not the coins :insane:].

Edited by EagleRJO

A few things about gloves.

They make it easy to drop a coin.

They leave fibers on coins that can turn to spots. 

They hairline coins if they touch the surfaces.

They pick up dust that gets transfers to the next coin you touch. 

They transfer dust to 2X2s, flips, albums and other holders. 

I think I remeber seeing it somewhere that they dont use them when they grade coins. I remember them explaining why also. It was for some of the reasons @ldhairmentioned above. They said its safer to just use clean hands and handle them by the edge. So they grade them with bare hands for those reasons. 

I seem to end up touching the coin surfaces, and even with clean hands you have oils on your hands which can get on a coin and impair it over time. Unless I intend to give it an acetone bath before storing it to remove things like fingerprints, then I don't bother with the cotton gloves but still try to just handle it by the edges.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/27/2022 at 4:19 PM, RWB said:

Better to wear a surgical mask ...

Actually you have to be careful when handling a raw coin not to talk to others while holding it in your hand, as you would get droplets of saliva on the coin that can impair it over time. :preach: