• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My international coin collection

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, my name is Julio Consuegra from Medellín - Colombia. 

In the early 2000´s we lived in the US and for many years I collected coins from all over the world. I have no idea if I have rare coins and don't know where to start. 

I have a 1910 2,5 USD Gold Coin and some others but have no idea where to start. 

Where do I start? 

Really appreciate the help from anyone. 

Thanks, 

Julio Consuegra Rodriguez

IMG_2444.jpeg

IMG_2443.jpeg

iBienvenido! The first way to start is by cropping the photos better. The coin should fill the whole picture. This enables us to better see important grading and attribution aspects. Each coin should receive its own thread.

Also, you can help yourself if you can get hold of a current Red Book, which is a good reference for US coins' condition and rarity. While they probably do not sell those in Medellín, you can surely order one online. Its formal name is A Guide Book of Red Book US Coins 2023. On world coins, quite a few of us collect those and can probably help you.

Julio I would first start by getting yourself a Red Book of United States coins.  this will have a ton of information for you.  but if you wish to find out what you have there is worth NGC has a price guide here: https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/ and welcome to the forum.  you will find the guys here very knowledgeable. a bit sarcastic at times but them men well.

On 11/20/2022 at 4:32 PM, Julio Consuegra said:

In the early 2000´s we lived in the US and for many years I collected coins from all over the world. I have no idea if I have rare coins and don't know where to start ... Where do I start?

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you are looking to determine if you have some rare, and therefore valuable, raw coins.  There are references like the NGC Price guide and the Red Book as others have mentioned to get an idea on mintages of US coins (an indicator of rarity) and values for various grades.  I would review the information in the following thread about resources for collectors, which includes getting the Red Book ... {Resources for Newer Collectors], and also read through this thread discussing additional collector resources ... (Additional Resources & Glossary)

You will find that value of coins is pretty dependent on grades, which you will have to evaluate for raw coins like the 1910 Indian Head Quarter Eagle you posted.  The indicated references will get you started on that, which will take some effort and time to get familiar with for raw coins.  You should also go to PCG$ CoinFacts to get pictures of various grades in order to compare with your coins, like the following for one you posted ... https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1910-2-50/images/7941.  To avoid spending countless hours going through a bunch of coins there, it's better if you can make an initial grade assessment and then look at ones around that initial grade.

It is a little difficult to grade gold coins from photos, but if you take good quality focused photos that are cropped around the coins and post them on this forum, in a new thread for each coin, you can get some help with that as mentioned.  I cropped your photos to show you what I mean, which come out very blurry and are not very helpful.  Also attached is an example photo from PCG$ CoinFacts to show you how these pics should come out for people to properly help you with grades.

1910 Gold Half Eagle.jpg

1910 Gold Half Eagle PCG$ MS.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO