• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there an app to inventory coin collecting

23 posts in this topic

Helloi was wondering if there is an app to keep track of the coins in one's collection. Example, if your at a coin show you can look at the app to see if you have the coin, it's grade, etc.

Something to keep track of dates, type and grade. I for one don't want to own two of the same coin unless I was to upgrade.

I'm trying to lay the groundwork for collecting including the coins I already own.

Thank you

The NGC registry/inventory is how I keep a digital record of my coin inventory, this can be accessed via your phone while at a show.   You do not have to create registry sets to use the inventory portion of the registry.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 11/20/2022 at 11:54 AM, Standby said:

Helloi was wondering if there is an app to keep track of the coins in one's collection. Example, if your at a coin show you can look at the app to see if you have the coin, it's grade, etc. ... Something to keep track of dates, type and grade. I for one don't want to own two of the same coin unless I was to upgrade. ... I'm trying to lay the groundwork for collecting including the coins I already own.

I looked at many options, including registry sets and some software, for logging my coins, which are virtually all raw coins so it can get sticky, and ended up scraping some registry sets I started, and just using Microsoft Word/Excel to create my own collection logs.  I found the registry sets a little clunky unless you have all slabbed coins, and the layout didn't really fit how I wanted to log my coins, and a lot of software I looked at was really lacking and didn't seem worth it.

For the logs I create using Microsoft Word/Excel I include columns for: year, mint, description, condition, grade, who graded it, cost/value, where I purchased/found the coin, and one for miscellaneous info.  I also keep photo logs with a nice clear focused pic of both sides using a scope, combined into one image, that is linked in the collection logs.  I then convert/print the collection logs to PDF or image files so I can easily access those on my phone wherever I am.

I also keep a short handwritten "want list" of specific coins I am looking to purchase or interested in looking at, with just coin, year/mark, and target grade and values.  I bring that with me (as well as a picture or PDF of the logs on my phone if needed) when I am looking at coins or making a purchase. The really important thing, no matter what method you use, is to be very careful to accurately log all your coins, and double check as well as update the logs and the "want list" with any purchased coins.  I have made one mistake buying a duplicate coin (which luckily ended up being an "unintentional upgrade"), since I have many on my want list and forgot to follow Santa's advice of "making a list, and checking it twice". :eyeroll:

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/20/2022 at 11:57 AM, Coinbuf said:

The NGC registry/inventory is how I keep a digital record of my coin inventory, this can be accessed via your phone while at a show.   You do not have to create registry sets to use the inventory portion of the registry.

I had forgotten about this but when I got my 1st smartphone a few years ago and I was fooling around and learning how to use "apps" (didn't even know what they were ! xD )...I used the barcode scanner thing a few times.

I never registered for the registry....I just punched in numbers and/or scanned using the optical barcode reader....but apparently, they were saved on my phone or the site (even though I never created a registry other than my NGC login name).  When I went to try it again today after a member here mentioned the App, the old look-ups were still there.

Anyway....CB....I might have use to do like you and "keep a digital record of my coin inventory."  This would require me to create a registry login, right -- not just my Forum name that I created here ?  But I won't have to do the registry points thing ?

I just thought it might be nice to have something on my smartphone other than a picture of my Excel Spreadsheet of my coin listings.  Wondering about the possibility though of having my barcodes "stolen" and used by counterfeiters, though.

First off, the registry can only take slabbed coins. So it won't work for logging in raw coins. I'm the same, I create an excel spreadsheet. Broke it down into types such as bullion, cents, halves etc.... and the added columns for dates, denominations, any costs that I remembered etc..... With excel you really make as many categories and columns as you like. It can be a little time consuming but in the end it's worth it. You can rows as you add coins or delete as you sell. Or just highlight it with a color that you like to indicate sold. Soo much you can do. And as EagleRJO mentioned, save it as a pdf and send to phone for reference. I actually have excel on my phone so I can update right on the spot if needed. 

On 1/25/2023 at 11:34 PM, bsshog40 said:

First off, the registry can only take slabbed coins. So it won't work for logging in raw coins. I'm the same, I create an excel spreadsheet. Broke it down into types such as bullion, cents, halves etc.... and the added columns for dates, denominations, any costs that I remembered etc..... With excel you really make as many categories and columns as you like. It can be a little time consuming but in the end it's worth it. You can rows as you add coins or delete as you sell. Or just highlight it with a color that you like to indicate sold. Soo much you can do. And as EagleRJO mentioned, save it as a pdf and send to phone for reference. I actually have excel on my phone so I can update right on the spot if needed. 

The great thing is that for the modern coins (which are graded) and the non-modern gradeds, you get great pics.  

Though I'm not sure if it's the actual coin for a modern or a representative of the coin type.

Another thing I forgot to add is that you can use what is called a Hyperlink. You can use it to attach pictures to your coins in the excel worksheet. You hover your mouse over it and your pic pops up showing your coin or any pic you have associated with that coin. 

On 1/26/2023 at 12:47 AM, bsshog40 said:

Another thing I forgot to add is that you can use what is called a Hyperlink. You can use it to attach pictures to your coins in the excel worksheet. You hover your mouse over it and your pic pops up showing your coin or any pic you have associated with that coin. 

That's exactly what I meant when I mentioned including a photo log link in the collection log.  ^^

You can also include hyperlinks to coin error or reference data webpages, like VamWorld for the Morgans I have. It really is amazing what you can do with MS Word/Excel.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 1/26/2023 at 12:47 AM, bsshog40 said:

I was never good at that....I'm basically an Excel beginner. :(

Are you talking about the spreadsheet and Hyperlink function on your phone or PC ?

On 1/25/2023 at 8:47 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Anyway....CB....I might have use to do like you and "keep a digital record of my coin inventory."  This would require me to create a registry login, right -- not just my Forum name that I created here ?  But I won't have to do the registry points thing ?

You just use the same login name and password as you use to login to the forums.

On 1/25/2023 at 9:34 PM, bsshog40 said:

First off, the registry can only take slabbed coins. So it won't work for logging in raw coins.

Actually, this is incorrect Bobby, raw coins can be input into the old system.   They just cannot be seen in any sets (competitive or custom) and are only visible to the owner of the coin.   At the initial input screen when you use the drop down box for grading service there is as the last option RAW, it works I have done it.   That is not to say it is a better option than a spreadsheet, I use both, but it is an option.

On 1/26/2023 at 9:10 AM, Coinbuf said:

You just use the same login name and password as you use to login to the forums.

Actually, this is incorrect Bobby, raw coins can be input into the old system.   They just cannot be seen in any sets (competitive or custom) and are only visible to the owner of the coin.   At the initial input screen when you use the drop down box for grading service there is as the last option RAW, it works I have done it.   That is not to say it is a better option than a spreadsheet, I use both, but it is an option.

I never knew that. Thank you! 

On 1/26/2023 at 12:28 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I was never good at that....I'm basically an Excel beginner. :(

Are you talking about the spreadsheet and Hyperlink function on your phone or PC ?

In the spreadsheet on the pc.  I haven't done on my phone, I built everything on the computer. I haven't done it in a while, but I think you can highlight a cell, right click it, and it should give you the option to "add Hyperlink ". You can just play around with that and see what all it does. 

Edited by bsshog40

I'm trying to login on my smartphone, but the stupid SIGN IN button is not showing up, like it's been cut-off at in the middle of my screen below the Email and Password boxes. :frustrated:

Screenshot_20230126-123840_NGC.jpg

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 11/20/2022 at 12:46 PM, EagleRJO said:

For the logs I create using Microsoft Word/Excel I include columns for: year, mint, description, condition, grade, who graded it, cost/value, where I purchased/found the coin, and one for miscellaneous info. 

This is what I also do, but in my case only for my TPG inventory plus ungraded coins I specifically want to track.

I don't track most of my ungraded coins.

Edited by World Colonial

On 1/26/2023 at 10:37 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm trying to login on my smartphone, but the stupid SIGN IN button is not showing up, like it's been cut-off at in the middle of my screen below the Email and Password boxes. :frustrated:

Screenshot_20230126-123840_NGC.jpg

I could be wrong but from the screen shot you appear to be on the new system not the old one.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:37 PM, Coinbuf said:

I could be wrong but from the screen shot you appear to be on the new system not the old one.

What's the difference?  Which one should I be using ?

On 1/26/2023 at 4:00 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

What's the difference?  Which one should I be using ?

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish, much of this thread has been a discussion about the old registry system as it will allow for raw coins.   If you are trying to access that old system you need to go to https://coins.www.collectors-society.com.   If you were trying to access the new system it looks like you are in the correct screen.

On 1/26/2023 at 6:07 PM, Coinbuf said:

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish, much of this thread has been a discussion about the old registry system as it will allow for raw coins.   If you are trying to access that old system you need to go to https://coins.www.collectors-society.com.   If you were trying to access the new system it looks like you are in the correct screen.

I'm just looking to be able to upload my NGC (and PCGS ?) graded coins; I have very few raw ones and those are mostly bullion.

Thanks for the heads-up, hopefully somebody from NGC gets back to me.:|

On 1/26/2023 at 5:07 PM, Coinbuf said:

THAT’S THE ONE! That’s the only NGC system I use with the exception of a very small U.K. series. 

On 1/26/2023 at 4:37 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm just looking to be able to upload my NGC (and PCGS ?) graded coins; I have very few raw ones and those are mostly bullion.

Thanks for the heads-up, hopefully somebody from NGC gets back to me.:|

Yep the new system is great for those, just a heads up, the NGC staff have to approve the PCGS coins so once you have finished imputing the coins it will be a day or two before you have access to them in the system.

Sometimes you get hung up just trying to switch systems which has happened to me before.  Try manually logging out of the NGC system you are in, close all windows, and then log into the one desired.

The two different systems don't seem to play nice together, which was another reason I went with Word/Excel.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 1/26/2023 at 7:25 PM, EagleRJO said:

Sometimes you get hung up just trying to switch systems which has happened to me before.  Try manually logging out of the NGC system you are in, close all windows, and then log into the one desired.  The two different systems don't seem to play nice together, which was another reason I went with Word/Excel.

The problem is I have all the Previous Searches all lined up ready to be added to my inventory (I seem to have 7 coins already there, don't ask me how....) but when I  hit the ADD COIN feature it asks to login -- and I get the cut-off login bar.

I mean, how the hell can a page ask me to login and then not have the space and button to activate ? :frustrated:

Edited by GoldFinger1969