• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2008 P Roosevelt Dime Multiple die chips Possible double eye
3 3

29 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2022 at 11:27 AM, Mrph12 said:

Looks like the eye could be Doubled.(shrug) need help.

Thanks

Thu Nov 17 11-15-04.jpg

Thu Nov 17 11-14-56.jpg

Thu Nov 17 11-16-34.jpg

Thu Nov 17 11-15-32.jpg

NO 3.jpg

NO 2.jpg

I’m having trouble coming up with a way to NOT make this sound preachy, but I’m failing. Take it for what it’s worth. Where did you come up with the idea that this sort of thing is numismatically interesting? Pure curiosity. 

On 11/17/2022 at 12:50 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m having trouble coming up with a way to NOT make this sound preachy, but I’m failing. Take it for what it’s worth. Where did you come up with the idea that this sort of thing is numismatically interesting? Pure curiosity. 

We’re learning. We see incongruities. We possess curiosity too. We don’t know. Look, dude, I appreciate your help, dubious musing is retrogressive; encourages me none. Eff that attitude. You’re wrong, it comes off silly.

Mrph12—It is an interesting coin to some. You can call it a “doubled eye” if you want. Keep looking, ask until someone reads. Good luck, terminology is tough, many subtleties.

Edited by Ray Tatum

On 11/18/2022 at 8:46 AM, Ray Tatum said:

We’re learning. We see incongruities. We possess curiosity too. We don’t know. Look, dude, I appreciate your help, dubious musing is retrogressive; encourages me none. Eff that attitude. You’re wrong, it comes off silly.

Mrph12—It is an interesting coin to some. You can call it a “doubled eye” if you want. Keep looking, ask until someone reads. Good luck, terminology is tough, many subtleties.

I dont see no doubling on the eye and Im not gonna lie and say I do. I think it would confuse  new collectors if we go along with them and agree theres something there that isnt. He said, " The eye could be doubled." And I said I dont see it. And I dont. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 11/18/2022 at 10:08 AM, Hoghead515 said:

I dont see no doubling on the eye and Im not gonna lue and say I do. I think it would confuse  new collectors if we go along with them and agree theres something there that isnt. He said, " The eye could be doubled." And I said I dont see it. And I dont. 

Delusion seems to be popular. 

What the coin is ain’t the delusion. The delusion is that you’re helping when you wonder in text where those people find the idea that something is interesting. Tell us to leave—quasi-equivalence. 

My clickbought coins do not require your alls’ help. They rest in ugly plastic boxes with ugly images and ugly fonts, with holographic stickers; they look just like yours. I worked to get this humble disk that I have in my hand, Credit Union, First Citizens, Petro Mart, the Quik Shop in Eli Whitney, the PTA thrift shop, Ebenezer First Baptist in Moncure. It’s far more satisfying to find than buy. When they do not come with words, I use outside assistance.
So, my stool photos of coins don’t belong here, either?
Did anyone bother telling the OP that his photos were good?

Edited by Ray Tatum
Editing

On 11/18/2022 at 12:37 PM, VKurtB said:

This coin is a damaged piece of junk, nothing more. My obligation is to truth, not making people feel good. 

Reality slamming into misconcieved perceptions can be disheartening sometimes. 😉

On 11/18/2022 at 1:33 PM, VKurtB said:

Disheartening ain’t my problem nor my responsibility. 

Not directed at you, but others who may have those misconceptions.

The old saying is "don't shoot the messenger" 😉

Edited by EagleRJO

Bingo; useless photo accompanied by a useless remark.

I was in on the discussion about the obligation to teach. 
What about a discussion on what to post, not wanting to teach, yet lacking impulse control to stop it?

I like drama with proffered apathy and cliches in jade.
The attitude encourages Nomintmarknicks to post here. They don’t stay. 
I sully your turf, this forum is You. You can’t make me stay—Craig.

On 11/18/2022 at 1:30 PM, Ray Tatum said:

Bingo; useless photo accompanied by a useless remark.

I was in on the discussion about the obligation to teach. 
What about a discussion on what to post, not wanting to teach, yet lacking impulse control to stop it?

I like drama with proffered apathy and cliches in jade.
The attitude encourages Nomintmarknicks to post here. They don’t stay. 
I sully your turf, this forum is You. You can’t make me stay—Craig.

Seek the telling of truth and everything else needs to take care of itself. Otherwise, what is the stinking point? Without truth, all that’s left is ignorance spawned by YouTube jockeys. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/18/2022 at 2:48 PM, Ray Tatum said:

Motion is hyperbole—dead horses beating dead horses.

Wait, if dead horses are beating dead horses, who then beat the dead horse to begin with, who then subsequently itself became a dead horse which then began beating other horses which then became dead horses ... I sense a black hole also being involved here somehow. :insane:

On 11/18/2022 at 11:52 AM, Ray Tatum said:

What the coin is ain’t the delusion. The delusion is that you’re helping when you wonder in text where those people find the idea that something is interesting. Tell us to leave—quasi-equivalence. 

My clickbought coins do not require your alls’ help. They rest in ugly plastic boxes with ugly images and ugly fonts, with holographic stickers; they look just like yours. I worked to get this humble disk that I have in my hand, Credit Union, First Citizens, Petro Mart, the Quik Shop in Eli Whitney, the PTA thrift shop, Ebenezer First Baptist in Moncure. It’s far more satisfying to find than buy. When they do not come with words, I use outside assistance.
So, my stool photos of coins don’t belong here, either?
Did anyone bother telling the OP that his photos were good?

Were not talking about your coins. Were talking about the OP's coin. They asked if it was a double eye and we told them it wasnt. If your gonna teach someone something it needs to be the truth. Thats what is taught in the newbie forum when they ask about they're coins. The truth. Some people dont like to hear the truth and some people do.  

On 11/18/2022 at 1:23 PM, Coinbuf said:

I do not see any evidence of a doubled eye, looks to be a normal coin with lots of die chips from poor quality control.

I'm in the die chips column also.

On 11/18/2022 at 6:32 PM, tj96 said:

I'm in the die chips column also.

I agree that SOME of what we see COULD be that, but most likely of all is post-mint damage, PARTICULARLY the stuff on the reverse. 

Edited by VKurtB

You learn better by doing your own research.  If you hit a brick wall, fine ask your question.  The questions I have, I know have already been asked somewhere before. I can almost find all the answers to my questions here, just by searching the threads.  I also have no problem sharing what little knowledge or experience I have.

You also know, that there are a lot of "lazy" people out there that come here and expect you (us) to do the work for them!

Many don't have a clue of how to research and end up here asking questions. There is no way to know if they are lazy or have already ran into that brick wall. If you have the skills on the topic, teach and others will learn. Those that just tell people to go learn it on their own are the lazy ones. There is no need to insult folks that land here looking for help.

This site needs to be friendly but some here are not that way. I see folks saying that all the time on other sites. They will no longer post here because of those that just want to throw trash at others. 

I can bring members back here but the troll must go first. 

On 11/19/2022 at 3:25 PM, tj96 said:

....You also know, that there are a lot of "lazy" people out there that come here and expect you (us) to do the work for them!

🐓:  They're onto you, Q!

Q.A.:  I can see that. :roflmao:

On 11/19/2022 at 4:49 PM, ldhair said:

....I can bring members back here but the troll must go first. 

🐓:  I believe the gentleman is alluding to...

Q.A.:  No way!  I am an intermittent, contributory lurker!  I pay my dues!  I've got rights!  :whatthe:

🐓:  And the 2008-P dime?

Q.A.:  No double-eye or doubled-eye; No doubled-die either.  I do, however, see a suggestion, supported by the photographic evidence introduced, that the presumably non-mettalic, lower band holding the torch together appears to have been dissolving.  How or why or exactly when, I do not know.  Metallurgy is not my forte. 

Have I redeemed myself here, or what? :golfclap: