• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGCX
1 1

250 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2022 at 1:44 PM, NewGuy1 said:

almost certainly?  Nah. What planet are you on?  Why would you think some goofy commemerative would be used when they changed to zinc cents  that would be way more important than a commemorative wouldn't it

NGC has spoken. Why 1982? The 1982 date was chosen because that is when the Tylenol capsule tampering happened and changed our country forever.

"The 1982 date signifies a loss of innocence for our country and [this incident] ushered us into the modern era". - Josh Tatum, NGC Director of Numismatic Research and Idioms

On 11/30/2022 at 12:06 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

A perfect example of when this 10-point system is OK to use is on the 2015 American Eagle UC Proof Gold coin I bought at FUN 2020.

I think it's now PF70 UC -- so who cares how it is graded as long as it's a 10 or a 9.9 (PF69). (thumbsu

It seems a bit redundant----I think of a few reasons why you shouldn't----but if it pleases you, go right ahead.  [I already know for fact you will never sell it.] But again, if you find the combination of colors inspirational, well, why not?

On 11/29/2022 at 11:55 AM, gmarguli said:

NGC has spoken. Why 1982? The 1982 date was chosen because that is when the Tylenol capsule tampering happened and changed our country forever.

[I changed my mind.  I am not inclined to let this observation slide by. A product, formerly sold unsealed, and now "sealed for [my] protection," "changed our country, forever"?  Seems a bit grandiose, doesn't it?]

I don't have the exact wording of U.S. District Judge Kevin Duffy's statement uttered in an aside to sentencing the defendants at the first WTC trial after the '93 bombing, made all the more memorable because Federal judges rarely lose their composure on the bench, but he sternly lamented the fact that things at all courts, government buildings, military installations, you-name-it, would "never be the same again" because all those intending to conduct business within them would have to present IDs and passes or submit to labor-intensive, time-consuming, searches and re-searches.  I agree. And ain' nobody going to move up the demarcation date of moderns up a few notches to commemorate that event.  

P.S.  Who is this oft-quoted N.G.C?  How long has he been a member? Why hasn't he ever shown his face?  :makepoint:  doh!  :facepalm:  :roflmao:

Glad you guys touched base on NGCx. I got home from a trip today, flipped on the Tele and what did I see? Mike the coin guy, hawking a 2023 Silver Eagle NGCX10 coin for $79.99. Mike stated after today, ahem, the price would be $129. So the big dealers are creating their own market with NGC creating a new entity just for them. I call BS!

But wait there’s more….,Mike said if you buy one today, you will get one FREE NGCx submission, and up to five at $10. 
makes me question who motivates this? I’ll not be interested, thank you very much, and if I see one for sale, I’ll scroll right on by!

it’s a scam! It’s kinda like NFTs non fungible tokens. Won’t even get you a cup of coffee. I see these becoming about as valuable as BGS Beckett graded coins,

Happy New Year!

On 12/30/2022 at 7:05 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Glad you guys touched base on NGCx. I got home from a trip today, flipped on the Tele and what did I see? Mike the coin guy, hawking a 2023 Silver Eagle NGCX10 coin for $79.99. Mike stated after today, ahem, the price would be $129. So the big dealers are creating their own market with NGC creating a new entity just for them. I call BS!

But wait there’s more….,Mike said if you buy one today, you will get one FREE NGCx submission, and up to five at $10. 
makes me question who motivates this? I’ll not be interested, thank you very much, and if I see one for sale, I’ll scroll right on by!

it’s a scam! It’s kinda like NFTs non fungible tokens. Won’t even get you a cup of coffee. I see these becoming about as valuable as BGS Beckett graded coins,

Happy New Year!

A lot of strong language in here!   Good to hear from you again!  Now about those BGS Beckett-graded coins... Ah, I definitely have it in me to become a sucker for a scam!  :roflmao:

Happy New Year, fellow bird-lover!

On 12/30/2022 at 7:05 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

But wait there’s more….,Mike said if you buy one today, you will get one FREE NGCx submission, and up to five at $10.  makes me question who motivates this? I’ll not be interested, thank you very much, and if I see one for sale, I’ll scroll right on by!  it’s a scam! It’s kinda like NFTs non fungible tokens. Won’t even get you a cup of coffee. I see these becoming about as valuable as BGS Beckett graded coins, Happy New Year!

Hopefully, Bill, the rise in interest rates will put an end to the bulk of the NFT insanity and the excesses in hobbies like coins.(thumbsu

That said, there's been pricing excesses on these coin shows for years.  I've documented the 25-30% above FMV for gold and silver coins from Rick T.  At least he is telling a good story and if he gets people into this hobby who take it seriously, it might be worth it.  But $129 for that ASE sounds like gouging, even if $79 is pricey but within reason.

BTW..have these coin guys on TV been a mainstay on TV since the late-1970's or are they a recent happening ?  I think I've seen them on-and-off for about the last 10-15 years but I can't recall before that.

@GoldFinger1969:

At the risk of being accused of bashing, I should like to politely remind the congregation here that in making a few basic inquiries on the West Side this past week I was thoughtfully reminded they were Number One, among other things (over 50 million certifications to date, was cited as evidence) and that price increases on submissions, etc., were in the works. It's a comfort to know that like the Duke and Duke Brothers of "Trading Places" fame (1983) they continue to make money whether the average collector wins or loses.  (shrug)

On 12/30/2022 at 10:50 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@GoldFinger1969:

At the risk of being accused of bashing, I should like to politely remind the congregation here that in making a few basic inquiries on the West Side this past week I was thoughtfully reminded they were Number One, among other things (over 50 million certifications to date, was cited as evidence) and that price increases on submissions, etc., were in the works. It's a comfort to know that like the Duke and Duke Brothers of "Trading Places" fame (1983) they continue to make money whether the average collector wins or loses.  (shrug)

They panicking, Quintus, they panicking !!!  xD