• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarter damage, Hard to explain what happened to this guy especially on the edge
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Wondering how this might have happened? Coin look like it was buried or something but the concave edge puzzled me. It it were ground on the edge it would be flat or rounded but this one is concave.? Thoughts?

IMG-6007.jpg

IMG-6006.jpg

IMG-6005.jpg

IMG-6004.jpg

On 11/12/2022 at 5:30 PM, Hoghead515 said:

That was my first thoughts as soon as I seen it. Before I read the replies. You can see how wavy and pitted it is from the acid. Thats my first time, being a newbie, seeing the core eat out more than the outer layer. Must be softer and react to the acid more. Learned something new today. 

Most elemental metals (100% copper) are more reactive than most alloys or mixtures. 

On 11/12/2022 at 5:10 PM, l.cutler said:

It's been exposed to some kind of acid, it affects the inner copper core more than the outer copper nickel layers.

Yea, makes sense to me also. If it was submerged in an acid it would cause some erosion/damage to the outer layer, but more erosion/damage to the core. Prolly a HS or CH101 chemistry "experiment". ;)