• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1930's - 1980's Error Pennis

12 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2022 at 6:32 AM, Silverdimes said:

Can't make it the date on this penny. 

I can't tell from the image, there is too much damage. I see no errors, anywhere, on the cent.

Is it a wheat or memorial?

Based on the styles of the remaining numerals and the mint mark, this is either a 1926-S or (most likely) a 1936-S that would have graded Very Fine if undamaged.  While an undamaged 1926-S would have a retail value of $15 or so in Very Fine grade, the damage obliterating the third numeral renders it unsalable.  A 1936-S in Very Fine would be worth less than $1 even if undamaged.

The date is unimportant as the coin is heavily damaged and has no numismatic value, I would say that it most likely is a 1936 minted at the SF mint.   In 1936 the SF mint coined just over 29 million coins for that year, and while like your Mercury dime this coin is old there were more than enough saved so even high grade examples can be found for just a few dollars.   Value for this coin is 2 or 3 cents at best to a collector, however, you will see coins like this, and your Merc dime, offered on sites like etsy and ebay with much higher asking prices.    Unfortunately some folks are sucked in and ripped off by those unscrupulous sellers.

This is today’s theme for some reason I can’t guess. Your coin is not an error - it is damaged. Who told you it was an error?

On 11/12/2022 at 1:46 PM, EagleRJO said:

What I want to know is what is an "Error Pennis" as stated in the title of this thread. :whatthe:

Peyronie’s Disease?

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/13/2022 at 3:52 PM, Silverdimes said:

Haha....Mint errors. 

20221112_145653.jpg

20221112_145709.jpg

Where? Honest Injun @Silverdimes, I blew up your pictures as large as I can and I don’t see anything approaching an error.