• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is the full error not labeled?

6 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hello,

Each error is inspected by our error expert. What you describe is something that is commonly seen on 40% silver Kennedy half dollars, and would not be considered an error.

Paul

I am again replying to your answer administrator Pauls. to my recollection just in using Kennedy halves as common money to trade when they first started circulating  the 1967 halves do in fact have a copper strip on the reeded edge and it is uncommon to find one without the copper strip are you sure that you understood my question

And I have another reply to administrator Pauls.and I quote from the website of the spruce crafts "if there is a strip of copper encircling the edge of the coin it is a regular strike coin",and this coin has no copper strip.

From 1965 to 1970 the Kennedy half was minted in 40% silver - a core of .209 silver/.791 copper clad with outer layers of .80 silver/.20 copper. This created an edge that is silver on the outer edges and darker gray/silver in the center. The copper strip did not show up until 1971, when the composition was changed to two layers of copper-nickel bonded to a copper core. The mint also coined the silver clad halves in 1976.