• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to label and build a custom set
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hello I am hoping to add a complete set to the registry under Custom I think. I have all the NGC silver Roosevelts from 1946-1964 all are MS66 and PR68* and +. What place do I create the set? Any help I am a newbie to NGC. Thanks

If you have a complete set of a certain series I would look into if there is a NGC Competive Registry Set that may either consist of or include the set you have assembled since it sounds like they are all graded.

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive/united-states/dimes/

It is more user friendly compared to a Custom Registry Set since everything is already set up and it is easier to enter coins. You can also more easily compare your set to others, let others see your set, and compete with others and get awards if that's something you may find enjoyable.

I started a Custom Registry Set with a collection I am working on which is almost all raw coins (Competitve needs to be all TPG graded), and I just got frustrated with setting it up and entering coins.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/6/2022 at 3:45 PM, Jwbuckna said:

Hello I am hoping to add a complete set to the registry under Custom I think. I have all the NGC silver Roosevelts from 1946-1964 all are MS66 and PR68* and +. What place do I create the set? Any help I am a newbie to NGC. Thanks

Building a custom set is fun as you can decide what your set is and can include all your coins in the same set! It is not too bad once you get the hang of it. As for the registry, there several options for the Roosevelts. There is a 1946 - 1964 silver set as well as a 1950-1964 silver proof set. In addition there is a complete set from 1946 to date for MS coins; a 1950 to date for PF coins and last but not least a 1992 to date silver proof set! Not to mention additional sets that include varieties! I probably forgot about some other set options I'm sure!

Welcome to the registry and have fun!

Edited by Simple Collector
Typo

On 11/7/2022 at 11:17 AM, Simple Collector said:

Building a custom set is fun ... It is not too bad once you get the hang of it

@Simple CollectorMaybe I just need to give the Custom set another shot and be a little more patient. Is there a good guide or FAQ for the Custom sets? It seemed like most of those I found were geared towards Competitive sets.

I would suggest just going to the custom sets and looking at several. If I recall, the only stipulation is that they must be ngc or pcgs certified. I actually have a custom set that is questionable toning or altered color. 

On 11/7/2022 at 3:26 PM, Coinbuf said:

... the custom portion of the registry is still on the old NGC registry system which is not as user friendly as the new registry system.   That is not to say that it is difficult just different and requires you to plan and design how you want the set to look ...

... only the owner of the set can actually see those coins [or raw coins (EagleRJO added)]. Visitors to the sets will only see the NGC and PCGS certified coins, something that I have been asking the registry team to change, maybe that will happen someday before I die. (shrug)

Thanks for the detailed info @Coinbuf, much appreciated as usual. :banana: Maybe I just found the Custom sets to be really clunky because it's on an older system, and the newer system is for Competitive graded sets (with only NGC and PCG$ slabs allowed, and no raw coins) with almost all of the FAQs geared towards the Competitive sets. I got so frustrated I almost threw one of my very few slabbed coins which was within reach at the wall (easy their hot shot, don't you dare throw that slabbed beauty!). :insane:

But my collections are almost all raw coins that are not TPG slabbed. After I posted a few to a Custom Morgan collection I set up that seemed like it took forever, I couldn't share them or allow anyone to view them. (shrug) Now I know why, and I think that needs to change before I give it another try. Seemed like the registry was really pushing NGC or PCG$ slabbed coins, which just isn't me or my cup of tea, even though I was willing to use and share pics from that system which is more exposure for them. Maybe pass along my displeasure also next time you complain about that again.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:39 PM, EagleRJO said:

Thanks for the detailed info @Coinbuf, much appreciated as usual. :banana: Maybe I just found the Custom sets to be really clunky because it's on an older system, and the newer system is for Competitive graded sets (with only NGC and PCG$ slabs allowed, and no raw coins) with almost all of the FAQs geared towards the Competitive sets. I got so frustrated I almost threw one of my very few slabbed coins which was within reach at the wall (easy their hot shot, don't you dare throw that slabbed beauty!). :insane:

But my collections are almost all raw coins that are not TPG slabbed. After I posted a few to a Custom Morgan collection I set up that seemed like it took forever, I couldn't share them or allow anyone to view them. (shrug) Now I know why, and I think that needs to change before I give it another try. Seemed like the registry was really pushing NGC or PCG$ slabbed coins, which just isn't me or my cup of tea, even though I was willing to use and share pics from that system which is more exposure for them. Maybe pass along my displeasure also next time you complain about that again.

Well to be fair, the registry is there for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is to attract collectors to submitting coins and promote the brand.   So it makes sense that the TPG's that run competitive registries have an incentive to only allow certified coins.   And it is the only true fair way to do that, allowing raw coins would involve the coin's owner to set the grade, which has far too many inherent problems and would require far too much work for the registry staff to manage.   I can only imagine the flood of complaints the team would receive over grades as defined by the coin owner even in a noncompetitive set like custom sets; heck there is already quite a bit of cheating and inaccuracy within the registry as it is.   For these reasons I would not really ever expect any TPG registry to include raw coins into the registry system.   That is unfortunate for the honest coin collectors, but as usual it only takes one bad apple.

Good points @Coinbufmaybe I am a little too willing to give ppl the benefit of doubt initially. But maybe they could allow sharing of raw coins only for custom sets that couldn't be used to get points or compete. That should cut down on the vast majority of complaints. I'm sure they get that anyway with the amount of points awarded for certain slabbed coins. Some ppl can be very competitive (and thus the name), which is not necessarily a bad thing within reason. And they do run businesses, not charities, so of course they will try to promote themselves.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/8/2022 at 9:23 AM, EagleRJO said:

Good points @Coinbufmaybe I am a little too willing to give ppl the benefit of doubt initially. But maybe they could allow sharing of raw coins only for custom sets that couldn't be used to get points or compete. That should cut down on the vast majority of complaints. I'm sure they get that anyway with the amount of points awarded for certain slabbed coins. Some ppl can be very competitive (and thus the name), which is not necessarily a bad thing within reason. And they do run businesses, not charities, so of course they will try to promote themselves.

That is a great outlook and I hope one that you never lose, but when it comes to numismatics, I have seen all sorts of unsavory behavior and have witnessed first-hand the cheating that is done with the registry system.   A few years ago a member of the two forums openly admitted having a coin that he crossed from NGC to PCGS at a lower grade because he wanted the coin in PCGS plastic even with the lower grade.  Nothing wrong with that by itself, however he then boasted about continuing to use the old higher grade NGC cert number in the NGC registry, even though the coin was no longer in that holder.   And that is just one of many similar transgressions that I have read/heard/seen over the years on these two forums.

If you were a type collector there is a registry that could accommodate your wishes for raw coin inclusion, but that registry is primarily geared to seated and type coins.   Should you ever dive into areas outside the Morgan dollar it might be something to look into.   Here is a link to the registry on the GFRC site GFRC registry

On 11/8/2022 at 8:24 PM, Coinbuf said:

If you were a type collector there is a registry that could accommodate your wishes for raw coin inclusion, but that registry is primarily geared to seated and type coins.   Should you ever dive into areas outside the Morgan dollar it might be something to look into.   Here is a link to the registry on the GFRC site GFRC registry

Besides continuing with rolls and older Gernan coins (not so much lately), and of course the Morgans, I have been adding a few chopped ones which I find interesting (if not overdone) and a number of older half dollars. If I do a one-a-year set of the latter after I finish the Morgans a good chunk are the Seated Liberty type, so you never know where that might lead, so I bookmarked that nugget. 😉

I kicked around the idea of also collecting 8 Reales, but with raw coins being a hands-down favorite I need a lot more experience and additional research before I cross over to that dark side. :insane: