• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JP's Nickels
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Are you keeping these nickels in the slabs or are you breaking them out to go in your albums/folders?  The reason I'm asking, most of my collector friends think I'm a bit crazy breaking coins out to put in albums.  I've broken out quite a few.

On 10/31/2022 at 3:30 PM, tj96 said:

Are you keeping these nickels in the slabs or are you breaking them out to go in your albums/folders?  The reason I'm asking, most of my collector friends think I'm a bit crazy breaking coins out to put in albums.  I've broken out quite a few.

LoL I do know a lot of collectors that by direct and cut the coins out for books. I keep the slab nickels in there holders for the future generations. But I do a lot of roll hunting and I find BU,AU,FV and F coins. Those Coins I put aside and after I have a bunch I sort them out take the best and put them in the book. There are always a few that are hard to find I am still looking for 2009 P and D in good shape and a 2022 D for the last book I finished.

Too funny . As I am typing the last reply to TJ, I open up a bank roll and the first two coins that pop out are a 1937 P+D Buffalo. Not worth a lot but still cool to find in 2022

1937 P+D.jpg

1937 P+D reverse.jpg

On 10/31/2022 at 4:31 PM, J P M said:

LoL I do know a lot of collectors that by direct and cut the coins out for books. I keep the slab nickels in there holders for the future generations. But I do a lot of roll hunting and I find BU,AU,FV and F coins. Those Coins I put aside and after I have a bunch I sort them out take the best and put them in the book. There are always a few that are hard to find I am still looking for 2009 P and D in good shape and a 2022 D for the last book I finished.

So before I break them out, I take pictures (Obv & Rev) of the slabbed coins.  Then I break them out.  Print out the pictures and put the barcode label on the pictures.  Then I put the pictures in the back of the albums.  It might help a little or add some value to whomever ends up with them.

@J P M - That's a very nice looking MS66.  Well done again!

@tj96 I don't crack-out anything, unless it is being resubmitted for upgrade.  With coins like Jefferson Nickels, having them regraded would likely evaporate any chance of staying out of the red financially.  Obviously, we can do whatever we want, and it's not always a financial decision... but, it feels like a shame to eat that premium twice.

My solution is to use Lighthouse slab binders for graded sets and build in the "holes" for the graded coins as I go.  I also like this approach, because it allows me to add some other types/varieties that are not typically found in the albums (i.e. I have a Matron Head Modified LC in my 7070 slab album, but that is not part of the Dansco set.)

On 11/1/2022 at 1:29 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

@J P M - That's a very nice looking MS66.  Well done again!

@tj96 I don't crack-out anything, unless it is being resubmitted for upgrade.  With coins like Jefferson Nickels, having them regraded would likely evaporate any chance of staying out of the red financially.  Obviously, we can do whatever we want, and it's not always a financial decision... but, it feels like a shame to eat that premium twice.

My solution is to use Lighthouse slab binders for graded sets and build in the "holes" for the graded coins as I go.  I also like this approach, because it allows me to add some other types/varieties that are not typically found in the albums (i.e. I have a Matron Head Modified LC in my 7070 slab album, but that is not part of the Dansco set.)

Thanks Neo, I would not likely crack out any coins seeing I try to buy them well below grading costs. I also feel a lot of coins are overgraded and I would hate to go backwards.... Lol ... I see you have some nice nickels yourself Neo. What other coin sets or type do you collect. Just wondering ?

On 10/31/2022 at 5:18 PM, tj96 said:

So before I break them out, I take pictures (Obv & Rev) of the slabbed coins.  Then I break them out.

I considered doing crack outs for some Morgan dollars that are slabbed with a complete collection I am working on where they are almost all raw coins. However, the more expensive ones are slabbed which are more valuable and easier to sell if left in the TPG holders. So, I decided to slab them all with my own NGC style holders for the raw ones and keep them all together. It does create more of a storage issue, but I really like the way the collection is coming out.

On 11/1/2022 at 3:24 PM, EagleRJO said:

I considered doing crack outs for some Morgan dollars that are slabbed with a complete collection I am working on where they are almost all raw coins. However, the more expensive ones are slabbed which are more valuable and easier to sell if left in the TPG holders. So, I decided to slab them all with my own NGC style holders for the raw ones and keep them all together. It does create more of a storage issue, but I really like the way the collection is coming out.

Yes, I buy the more expensive and key date coins slabbed because I need to know they are genuine, real and problem free. 

On 11/1/2022 at 4:04 PM, tj96 said:

Yes, I buy the more expensive and key date coins slabbed because I need to know they are genuine, real and problem free. 

I agree, but I would still look closely at the condition and grade of the slabbed ones. Particularly for the higher value ones. 

On 11/1/2022 at 1:39 PM, J P M said:

What other coin sets or type do you collect. Just wondering ?

My lower grade or circulation find sets are in Dansco albums:

• Lincoln Cents 1909-date (No Proofs)
  • Jefferson Nickels 1938-Date (No Proofs)
  • Washington State Quarters (P&D)
  • Washinton Parks Quarters (P&D)
  • Ike Dollars (with Proofs)
  • Kennedy Half Dollars (with Proofs)
  • US Type (7070) - this collection is in as close to P01 as I can find. I had to buy coins for this one, obviously.

My graded/slabbed sets include:

• Half Cents by "major variety" - one day I may try goin' for Cohen. But a few varieties are very rare/unique... so full cohen is a losing proposition from the start.
  • US Type Set (7070 - No Gold) - But I have added some varieties and sub-types that are not in the set.
  • Proof Mercury Dimes (36-42)
  • Late Date Buffalo Nickels (34-38) - But I have also bought a few earlier dates, too
  • ... and I am flirting with Jefferson early dates 1938-1945 (with proofs) - but I have not committed beyond picking up random coins within that date range.

The Binder -   This is a large mish-mash of found coins, and coins given to me as gifts.  It has some errors like off-sets and misaligned dies, some "hobo" nickels, and other coins that don't really fit-in anywhere.  If I start to build to a point where I need a Dansco, I pop them out of the 2X2 and drop them into an album.

I have a smaller binder of foreign coins.  I don't look at them, and don't care about them at all... but I save them in case one day I want to study them (I still have much to learn in US coins, and I am not trying to boil the ocean).