• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are the points given under the Competitive Coins so much higher than those given in Competitive Sets?
1 1

2 posts in this topic

For example my 1877 Indian Head gets 1,594 points in Competitive Coins but only 24 in Competitive Sets. Since I use the auto build feature, the program chooses a much easier and less valuable coin with a point value of 28 to fill that slot. 

• Administrator

Hello and thanks for your interest.

NGC Registry scores are not calculated in the "My Competitive Coins" list. The score you see in your coins list is merely a reflection of the points earned in whatever registry set you added that coin to. US coin scores in a Date set may differ from the score it receives in a Type Set.

Type v. Date Score

Many coins receive two scores depending on the set: a "Date Score" and a "Type Score". The Date Score is for date sets such as Lincoln Cents 1909-1958 and reflects the value and rarity of the coin. 

The Type Score is used only in type sets, where the goal is typically to acquire any example of a single type. Therefore, all coins of the same type will receive similar scores; this often results in a lower score for rarer or more valuable dates. 

In a type set, for example, a coin with $10 and a coin worth $100 would not have the same percentage difference in the scores. That allows someone with a less expensive coin to at least stay competitive with someone who has a coin worth many times that amount. People who collect high grade coins for type sets can still be very competitive with those who collect the (potentially more valuable) key dates.  

The NGC Coin Explorer may reflect the highest point value a coin can receive in any set, but the point values can vary depending on whether it is a date set or a type set.