• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974-D small cent

5 posts in this topic

I noticed some bars on the oberse of this coin, it's the columns of the Lincoln memorial behind Lincolns head.

On the reverse, there is a mirror image of Lincolns head on the coin with the memorial on top of it. It's faint but it's there. What error/variety would this be?

Thank you

31326df740aa99485a7c63e7bd10999e_0.jpeg

20221023_151357.jpg

This coin exhibits "clash marks" that result from the coinage dies coming together in the press without a planchet (coin blank) between them, resulting in parts of the image from each of the dies being struck into the other and appearing as upside down, reverse images on coins subsequently struck from these dies.  Coins with clash marks are interesting but generally not of much value to collectors.  (I do remember a much stronger clash on another Lincoln, Memorial reverse cent that was popularized for a while as the "prisoner" cent because Lincoln appeared to be behind bars!)

Please note that the Coin Marketplace forum is intended for the posting of offers to sell or buy coins.  Your post would have been best placed under the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum.

Ok so it would be considered a "die clash error"? I was thinking a flip over multiple strike but the mirror image and the light strike threw me off.

My bad, I thought I posted under U.S. coins. Thanks for the info Sandon!

On 10/24/2022 at 1:54 PM, Davebays said:

Ok so it would be considered a "die clash error"? I was thinking a flip over multiple strike but the mirror image and the light strike threw me off.

My bad, I thought I posted under U.S. coins. Thanks for the info Sandon!

Not a "die clash error" just a die clash, while not an everyday find die clashes are not really that uncommon.