• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent acquisition - 1813 half dollar O-110

16 posts in this topic

[🐓: Where's that guy who said Roger isn't a collector?

Q.A.:  Come to think of it, yeah?... Very rugged and plenty of character; I love the exploding stars!]

"Exploding stars" are one of the defects caused by not using a closed/close collar. The metal stretches under pressure -- kind of like a pregnant woman's striae as the womb enlarges -- except coin stretch marks never go away.

Luster is uniform and present throughout. This piece merely has a little honest commercial wear.

Edited by RWB

On 10/20/2022 at 5:34 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Are they called "exploding stars?" I have never heard of that term.  Congrats on the piece, Roger.  I like it a lot!

I have taken a little literary license here.  I do not know the name of the formal term used.

On 10/20/2022 at 5:22 PM, RWB said:

....This piece merely has a little honest commercial wear.

Yes, there's nothing like a little dishonest commercial wear to put a damper on a collector's day.  :facepalm:  :roflmao:

:) "Honest wear" = a colloquialism referring to ordinary and routine wear rather than intentional abrasion or damage.

On 10/20/2022 at 5:34 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Are they called "exploding stars?" I have never heard of that term.

Seems like good fun term even if not technically accurate. :)

Anyone who wants to see how to easily pick out an AU coin can hop over to VAMworld: http://www.vamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6963

Nice, clear, and simple example. It won't work on anything except a "real" AU coin. (Now, check out all those MS coins with wear....)

Edited by RWB

On 10/21/2022 at 2:45 PM, RWB said:

Anyone who wants to see how to easily pick out an AU coin can hop over to VAMworld: http://www.vamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6963

Nice, clear, and simple example. It won't work on anything except a "real" AU coin. (Now, check out all those MS coins with wear....)

...yeah n if the tp has a brown spot u need to redo it again....

There are a lot of interesting coins in similar condition, but they have been priced out of most budgets due to grade inflation and associated greed. I "stretched" for this one, but can't do more.

Edited by RWB

On 10/21/2022 at 11:38 AM, Just Bob said:

Good-looking coin! The die clash really adds character, in my opinion.

For sure. Nice coin.