• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Korean Coin Book

10 posts in this topic

I am the author of “South Korean Coins in the Era of Development” by iAsure Group (Michael Chou’s “Journal of East Asian Numismatics”). It is a 400-page book about the coins of the Republic of Korea (South Korea). It has a very limited print run of 500 copies. This book is now the standard book on the subject of South Korean coins.

You can see the book at this page, which gives information on this book, including a video and photo preview, as well as recent press coverage of the book:  

http://dokdo-research.com/SouthKoreanCoinBook.html

My book normally sells for $75 plus shipping, but I am offering a discount to members of this forum:  $61.62 by PayPal, or $59.15 by check; and these prices include shipping!

Please let me know, if interested.

All the Best,

Mark Lovmo

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 10.10.41 AM.png

On 10/19/2022 at 8:44 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Sign me up! I've been waiting for this book to become available. I must have missed the initial release. doh!

PM sent. 

This makes me wonder:  How DO people find out about the release of new books on coins?   Through media, like our coin rags (CoinWeek, Coin World, Numismatic News, etc), or from advertising?  

It seems this is a common reaction to the book, either "I heard about it, then I missed the release," or "I had no idea that this book was available..."    And this is even after some efforts to promote the book in several venues, along with a Money Talk at the World's Fair of Money in Chicago in August this year, and the book launch there.

It seems like there is no "one place" where interested readers can learn of new book issues...

On 10/21/2022 at 6:13 AM, mlovmo said:

This makes me wonder:  How DO people find out about the release of new books on coins?   Through media, like our coin rags (CoinWeek, Coin World, Numismatic News, etc), or from advertising?  

It seems this is a common reaction to the book, either "I heard about it, then I missed the release," or "I had no idea that this book was available..."    And this is even after some efforts to promote the book in several venues, along with a Money Talk at the World's Fair of Money in Chicago in August this year, and the book launch there.

It seems like there is no "one place" where interested readers can learn of new book issues...

You have to cast a wide net, with so many media options out there the people you are trying to reach can be hard to connect with or find. 

Personally, I had read some of your posts over at CT and CU of the book being in the works, but as I don't participate in or frequent those world coin forums I missed the release. I'm a subscriber to two of the three publications you mentioned above, and more, but never read the ads and if there was a short [print] article then I missed it. (shrug) It seems selling books about U.S. coins is difficult enough, trying to sell a book on modern South Korean coins to a smaller collector base is probably a daunting task at best. Hopefully the book sells out, sooner rather than later, and you make a few $'s in the process.

I would have stumbled across the book or mention of its release eventually, but I'm sure glad you expedited the process and posted here. My nephew and I, the second copy was for him, are eagerly awaiting the books arrival and thanks again for the two book discount. 

On 10/21/2022 at 6:11 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

You have to cast a wide net, with so many media options out there the people you are trying to reach can be hard to connect with or find. 

Personally, I had read some of your posts over at CT and CU of the book being in the works, but as I don't participate in or frequent those world coin forums I missed the release. I'm a subscriber to two of the three publications you mentioned above, and more, but never read the ads and if there was a short [print] article then I missed it. (shrug) It seems selling books about U.S. coins is difficult enough, trying to sell a book on modern South Korean coins to a smaller collector base is probably a daunting task at best. Hopefully the book sells out, sooner rather than later, and you make a few $'s in the process.

I would have stumbled across the book or mention of its release eventually, but I'm sure glad you expedited the process and posted here. My nephew and I, the second copy was for him, are eagerly awaiting the books arrival and thanks again for the two book discount. 

Thanks for your input!

Yes, casting a wide net is what I'm attempting.  I have a fair amount of press coverage already, but some outlets don't seem interested in covering the release of this singular book (in English) on South Korean coins for some reason (CoinWeek, for example).   I don't blame them; after all, it's the editor's choice as to what they cover or not cover based on what they think their readership might be interested.  And to be fair, there are lots of coin book releases that numismatic media outlets don't cover.  

As far as sales, this book actually is selling well, considering that it supposedly appeals to a smaller collector base, as you mentioned.  I think there's more collectors of S. Korea here in North America than even I expected! 

Sales are faster than I expected, too.   I was surprised that almost all of the major auction businesses and third party graders (based in the USA) bought a copy (or multiple copies) at the Chicago Show in August.  

So, it's not all bad news... it's just that I'd like to more effectively reach my potential customers instead of them "accidentally" finding out about the book, as seems to be the case for now.

On 10/21/2022 at 8:57 AM, mlovmo said:

As far as sales, this book actually is selling well, considering that it supposedly appeals to a smaller collector base, as you mentioned.  I think there's more collectors of S. Korea here in North America than even I expected! 

I would agree with you in that there are more collectors of world coins, and banknotes, in North America than people think. South Korea coin collecting probably gets a big boost from the U.S. maintaining a military presence there for decades. World coin and banknote varieties are also vastly more popular than TPG's seem to think. :taptaptap: In some areas of world collecting anyway. I can't think of much else you could do, I'm sure you've already posted about the book everywhere that I would know and more. How about a website as opposed to a webpage, I bookmarked the one in the OP so I can drop in on occasion in anticipation of updates, and getting sellers to carry the book like Wizard Coin Supply. Those options might not make sense financially though. 

How much do you think the bullion releases, chiwoo, tiger, etc. have increased the popularity of collecting Korean coins in Korea and Worldwide, if at all?

On 10/21/2022 at 9:06 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

How much do you think the bullion releases, chiwoo, tiger, etc. have increased the popularity of collecting Korean coins in Korea and Worldwide, if at all?

I would think that the Koreans' medal line of products has made an effect.   I know that those products are now a large part of the Korean Mint's total revenues, and especially in the context of Korean government orders for circulation coins having fallen off the cliff.   

As far as the book, yes, getting more booksellers to carry just a single copy can get it recognized, if it isn't exactly a good way to make a return.   I think I will do just that...  Cheers!

On 10/21/2022 at 3:57 PM, mlovmo said:

Thanks for your input!

Yes, casting a wide net is what I'm attempting.  I have a fair amount of press coverage already, but some outlets don't seem interested in covering the release of this singular book (in English) on South Korean coins for some reason (CoinWeek, for example).   I don't blame them; after all, it's the editor's choice as to what they cover or not cover based on what they think their readership might be interested.  And to be fair, there are lots of coin book releases that numismatic media outlets don't cover.  

Sales are faster than I expected, too.   I was surprised that almost all of the major auction businesses and third party graders (based in the USA) bought a copy (or multiple copies) at the Chicago Show in August.  

So, it's not all bad news... it's just that I'd like to more effectively reach my potential customers instead of them "accidentally" finding out about the book, as seems to be the case for now.
If only there were more of them, there really aren't enough of them. Coins are always interesting as for me. I wrote about this recently and found a samples collection, used http://studydriver.com/ for this. My dad has been collecting coins for 20 years. He cannot live a day without them. Every day he surfs the Internet and looks for everything.

I was surprised as well as you. Didn't know about this information.

Edited by dewittaimbezxrp76

The books arrived!

Actually they arrived days ago but I have been traveling and only opened them yesterday evening. :pullhair: I've only just begun the book but there is a ton of detailed information in there, way more than I was expecting, and it's going to take me a minute to digest it all. This is a book that I'll be placing on my "go to" shelf for referencing, the only question now is what do I kick off the shelf. hm 

Ah-ha! Build a bigger shelf! doh!

Congratulations on the book Mark and thanks again!