• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counterfeit Brasher Doubloon?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

If it is not an imposition I would like to see the edge and know its thickness. The manner in which the light falls on this coin suggests thinness and vulnerability to exterior blows whether mint-intended, or not.

Additional thoughts, particularly in the conspicuous absence of replies.  My instinctual feeling, as regarding rare coins as opposed to Louis Vuitton handbag knock-offs, is the greater scrutiny accorded them. I believe the average coin collector's thought regarding this is, if it were authentic it would be submitted for certification prior to sale, likely at an auction, and the chances it would remain undetected are nil at best.

I know very little about these coins, but I do know it is a popular coin for counterfeits and there were modern replicas made. According to the University of Notre Dame there was a Robinson replica produced back in 1861. Wikipedia lists the weight of one of the originals as 26.6 grams. Also, from reading on there the prices realized for genuine doubloons are in the millions of dollars, so I would say the one you have I am about 99.9% sure is a counterfeit. I will put the photos of an original provided by Wikipedia as following :

1787_Brasher_Doubloon.jpg

Edited by powermad5000

Two uncomfortable trains of thought...

1.  Using the example displayed by Wikipedia provides a reference with which to compare topographical features.  Right out of the starting gate I see a coin that is shiny and "brass-like" as compared to one that is subdued and golden.

2.  Rhetorical question to the O.P. that can probably put the matter to rest:  From whom did you acquire this and at what cost?  Irrespective of artistic talent and acclaimed reputation, no respectable counterfeiter, worthy of the title, would contemplate or attempt to counterfeit any coin sure to be subjected to intense scrutiny prior to certification which in cases such as these require authentification prior to sale, most likely at auction.

P. S.   I think it telling that this post, undoubtedly viewed by knowledgeable and experienced members toiling at the highest levels of the numismatic profession, perhaps beset by combat fatigue, have declined to weigh in.