• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A new CAC grading/slabbing service
1 1

136 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2022 at 7:38 AM, MarkFeld said:

It appears that you don’t keep your promises.

it doesn’t matter whether you, I or anyone else believes that what I described, is a viable option. What matters is what submitters of the coins believe. And I’ve seen posts from many collectors indicating that they submit coins for the reason I stated.

Now, in order to try to set a good example, I promise not to post to this thread again. And I keep my promises.

Mark,

I strongly believe that people who BUY slabbed coins, and people who SUBMIT coins to a TPGS use different motivations. Quintus has previously written that he regards a slab grade as something akin to an inviolable  contract, i.e. pretty close to “a god’s word” (no capital g). He buys slabs to eliminate/minimize risk. Submitters, and especially resubmitters are all about risk to earn a return. Anyone doing one to the exclusion of the other will never understand the other’s actions. 

Nobody is playing Guess-the-Grade with graders. That's preposterous on many levels. And if there is evidence of it, it has been carefully hidden from me.

My stance on encapsulations is simple. Accept the fate accorded the coin; there are no do-overs.

My disposition is subject to change.  [The nearly $2B Powerball drawing, the largest in U.S. history, is tonite, 11/07/2022.]   :whistle:

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Routine die-polishing.

@VKurtB:

THE RULES, INVIOLATE, OF QUINTUS ARRIUS...

Rule #1 -  Thou shalt not crack-out a coin.

Rule #2  -  Thou shalt not break up any Proof Set, issued as such.

Rule #3  -  Thou shalt not break up a "Collection" painstakingly put together over a lifetime.

As with most rules, there are exceptions.  For example, a short series may be broken up; Collections may not.  Proof Sets issued in boxes with glassine sleeves dated circa the 1950's, may be broken up and encapsulated in the interests of conservation.

ON ENCAPSULATIONS...

A good coin sells itself; a good encapsulation eliminates extraneous conversation. An encapsulated coin takes authentication and certification to its natural conclusion. The only question left is, How much?

On 11/8/2022 at 6:08 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@VKurtB:

THE RULES, INVIOLATE, OF QUINTUS ARRIUS...

Rule #1 -  Thou shalt not crack-out a coin.

Rule #2  -  Thou shalt not break up any Proof Set, issued as such.

Rule #3  -  Thou shalt not break up a "Collection" painstakingly put together over a lifetime.

As with most rules, there are exceptions.  For example, a short series may be broken up; Collections may not.  Proof Sets issued in boxes with glassine sleeves dated circa the 1950's, may be broken up and encapsulated in the interests of conservation.

ON ENCAPSULATIONS...

A good coin sells itself; a good encapsulation eliminates extraneous conversation. An encapsulated coin takes authentication and certification to its natural conclusion. The only question left is, How much?

Nice list. But I hope you realize how often all 3 rules are violated all over this hobby on a daily basis. How else could I have a 14 inch double row box of just proof singles, in 2x2’s, most of them acquired that way in bulk auction lots? 

On 11/12/2022 at 8:17 PM, VKurtB said:

Nice list. But I hope you realize how often all 3 rules are violated all over this hobby on a daily basis. How else could I have a 14 inch double row box of just proof singles, in 2x2’s, most of them acquired that way in bulk auction lots? 

I do realize. It's the way of the world. Publish or perish.  Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.  :signofftopic:  What God hath joined together, let no man put asunder. (Yes, that meaneth both the Panama and Suez canals should not have been built, but what can one do?)  Pity the Proofs. All dressed up, and no place to go... relegated to a double-rowed box.  🤔