• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collectors needed for University Project

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys! My name is Arthur Finch, I am a photographer from Berlin, currently studying BA (Hons) Photography at the University of the Arts London.

For my dissertation project, I am looking for collectors who are willing to be photographed with their collections. I have a deep interest in collecting things and am very passionate about this topic. 

The images will not be used commercially, they will only be used for my dissertation project. Potentially, I will show prints at the graduation show and I might furthermore make a book of the project. Before any of that happens, I would of course confirm that with everyone that I have photographed. 

Please do reach out to me, if you live in England and are interested in participating in this project.

My contact details are:

j.arthur.finch@gmail.com

+44 7733059542

Thank you for your time!

Best,

Arthur

Hmmmm....reminds me of the "dogs look like owners" photos.

You'll probably want to add a lot more information about the dissertation thesis in order to tempt anyone to participate.

Hey RWB,

thank you for reaching out! It is not at all like the "dogs look like owners" photos, although I do understand where you are coming from.

My dissertation project is basically about the abundance of time. Through the project, I would like to deconstruct what we perceive as time, find out what it means to have a lot of time or to have no time and see how this affects our behaviour. Through the notion of 'spending' and 'collecting' time I came across the idea of photographing collectors. I would like to use this as a metaphor for how we collect as much time as possible to live a long and good life. 

In terms of the visual language I will use, please take a look at the work of Alec Soth. I will take intimate portraits of a person and show appreciation for their passion, rather than depicting them as something they are not. It is a very collaborative process and any images that I decide to use for the final project will be confirmed with the subject before.

Please do let me know if you have more questions!

Best,

Arthur

I'm in London now and I have my little collection but I'm not sure it's what you need. But it's a great topic for a dissertation and I appreciate your choice! I've recently graduated from uni from the same faculty and I decided to make a dissertation on the topic related to geography. As I'm a collection, it's so relevant to me, because I found a lot of my coins in different places and countries. But I didn't have enough knowledge of it, so just some sources such as https://quizzes.studymoose.com/flashcards/geography/ and the kindness of my teacher helped me to succeed. Can you share your email so I can send you some photos of my collection, if you'll like it - let's take a photoshoot!

Edited by parademaddening

Yes after a year I would think things have changed ,,,,,,,,,,,, Unless Arthur Finch has found that time is irrelevant.

On 10/13/2022 at 10:20 AM, Arthur Finch said:

Through the notion of 'spending' and 'collecting' time

On 10/13/2022 at 10:20 AM, Arthur Finch said:

the abundance of time.

I find I have a lot less time than I used to have.......:roflmao:

ANALYSIS OF A 7-POINT THREAD

Something Funny Happened on the Way to the Forum... and no one apparently noticed.

The OP announced his project.  There was the usual give and take and then, nearly a year later... this is purely conjecture on my part, a collector discovered he was required to become a member if he wished to participate on the chat board.  On Sept 29, 2023, he joined up, posted a question ostensibly asking if he could ask a question, was told he could and, declining to do so, promptly fled the premises, never to be seen or heard again.  Huh?

Was it something he said?  No, because he never did.

Was it something he did?  No, because there is no evidence in the record to suggest he did anything at all.

All of this transpired within 24 hours.

What happened?

On 2/11/2024 at 9:34 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Something Funny Happened on the Way to the Forum... and no one apparently noticed.

The OP announced his project.  There was the usual give and take and then, nearly a year later... this is purely conjecture on my part, a collector discovered he was required to become a member if he wished to participate on the chat board.  On Sept 29, 2023, he joined up, posted a question ostensibly asking if he could ask a question, was told he could and, declining to do so, promptly fled the premises, never to be seen or heard again.  Huh?

Was it something he did?  No, because there is no evidence in the record to suggest he did anything at all.

What happened?

He was not real. It happens on the forum all the time.  AI has the capability to do all sorts of stuff HC and why bring this up again. It just takes up Time + Space.

On 2/12/2024 at 9:34 AM, Henri Charriere said:

What happened?

Drift Boss

That happens often.

Edited by lodeverh