• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For The Love of Gold
1 1

78 posts in this topic

Reading RWB's SG DE book.....some countries really liked the $10 Indian Head Eagle.  More affordable/smaller if held by foreign citizenry.....big enough to be held as a reserve. 

Argentina's Finance Minister in 1930 claimed that they had almost 30 MM American gold eagles in their treasury – more than half the nation’s reserves !! :o

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 11/21/2022 at 2:53 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@GoldFinger1969:

Now those very same $10 Indian Head eagles would have considerable numismatic value.  Any way to know the final disposition?

Of Argentina's ?  No idea.....I focus on $20 Saints....but Roger's book talks alot about gold flows and coinage movement and $10 Indian Heads were closer to Saints in their usage for trade settlements than $5 Half and $2.50 Quarter Eagles.

We must have some Indian Head experts here....you're talking about just under 4 million Saints known and accounted for out of a mintage of just over 70 MM.  Anybody know the correpsonding $10 Indian Head numbers ?

On 11/22/2022 at 10:45 PM, robec1347 said:

1876cc$20obv318.jpg1876cc$20rev319.jpg

Great coin! This [1876-CC] is the one I always wanted as a teen in the 1960's and just never got around to getting!  (thumbsu

On 11/22/2022 at 10:10 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓:  A special treat for gold-lovers everywhere... Behold!  Q.A.'s FIRST gold coin acquisition! (eBay:  Jan. 2019)

Wait, haven't you been collecting Roosters for some time ?   They're gold coins.

On 12/4/2022 at 11:25 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Wait, haven't you been collecting Roosters for some time ?   They're gold coins.

Yes, I have.  But Ricky [ 🐓 ] somehow got ahold of the very first gold coin I bought, and secretly posted it on this thread after I turned in for the nite!  doh!