• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCCS Reputation?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I'm considering a foreign gold coin graded by the Canadian company CCCS. Does anyone have any familiarity with this outfit? I've read that a competing Canadian service, ICCS, is reliable, but I also read that ICCS only grades the obverse. I will be crossing to NGC for set consistency and would hope for reasonable grading consistency. Many thanks.  

This is a tough one... Any way we can "see" the coin? Is it listed somewhere on the web?  If so, can you provide a reference or link?  A part of me wants to take a quick look-see. Interestingly, I have paid for two or more coins from European concerns paid with USD converted, not to euros, but CA dollars, and neither (or none) were encapsulated by a Canadian TPGS. Adding yet another grading service to the mix of variables to consider would only heighten my concerns.  Fact is, irrespective of grading service, the only overriding point to base any buying decision on----and I only learned this after I compiled my collection, is the distiction a member made between "sight-seen" and "sight-unseen" purchases.  Oddly, that member maintained a purchase of any product qualifies as sight-seen if the individual or concern you are buying from (logically, sight-unseen) has a formal written policy making returns possible. I would urge you to take this into consideration!  If there is a NO RETURNS policy, it does not matter how anyone feels about a service which, at base, offers you only an opinion. Bear in mind, only a member who has submitted multiple CCCS slabs to NGC for cross-grading would be in a position to share his/her experiences, but how many of those would you need to reliably base a decision on?  🐓 

...ngc will consider coins from either of these tpgs as raw coins n will grade only if u provide consent to let them remove the coins from their present holders, the grades on those holders r not relevant to the grade determined by ngc...of course if one of those tpgs has a better track record, which is what i believe u ask for, then that should weigh in ur purchase decision....

Thanks for the advice above. The coin in question is listed on eBay. I don't have the skills to provide a link, but it is a 2 escudo piece minted in Chile, 1794. The dealer has fairly limited experience on eBay and a no return policy. I've expanded my type set to include examples of foreign coins that circulated in the Colonies and early US. Looking for one example minted in Chile, any denomination. The 8 escudos is readily available slabbed, but much more pricey than the referenced example. Lots of fun identifying and finding these early coins. But tough to find slabbed examples of many early foreign coin types, especially cheaper coins, else I wouldn't consider this. Should probably have stayed raw, but too far along to turn back.