• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd look
1 1

39 posts in this topic

I almost forgot to pass this on - if you research  Canadian mint error types, the Canada 25 cent piece has what's called " a rippled strike " that's why , the damage is uniform on both sides - the pics suck, so idk wat ur seeing on ur end - it amazes me the arrogance here, it seems to ooze from the pores so bad ,that the stench , actually comes through the pda- this  coins condition seems to b  a thing that happens north of boarder - if it was road kill or a post mint situation , the damage would have taken the thin nickel finish off and exposed the steel core, no where , is it like that

On 10/19/2022 at 10:52 AM, foundit said:

I almost forgot to pass this on - if you research  Canadian mint error types, the Canada 25 cent piece has what's called " a rippled strike " that's why , the damage is uniform on both sides - the pics suck, so idk wat ur seeing on ur end - it amazes me the arrogance here, it seems to ooze from the pores so bad ,that the stench , actually comes through the pda- this  coins condition seems to b  a thing that happens north of boarder - if it was road kill or a post mint situation , the damage would have taken the thin nickel finish off and exposed the steel core, no where , is it like that

All we have is your opinion.  How about some pics or links of this type of error.  Surely there must be something out there.  Anything already attributed in a slab?  Anything describing this type of error in a reference like www.error-ref.com ?  Any postings on the various sites from byers, or diamond, or Weinberg talking about this type of error?  Things like that will add credibility to your opinion.  

You could start by posting some decent pics of your coin.  The OP pics do a great job of showing the background but leave the actual coin small and blurry

Edited by Oldhoopster

If I were a gambling man (too risk averse), I would bet the OP is using coinsandcanada.com as his source.  This website has been talked about in many other forums - it's a better reference than say Etsy, but nothing close to as reputable as the resources you mentioned.

On 10/19/2022 at 3:33 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

If I were a gambling man (too risk averse), I would bet the OP is using coinsandcanada.com as his source.  This website has been talked about in many other forums - it's a better reference than say Etsy, but nothing close to as reputable as the resources you mentioned.

I use www.coinsandcanada.com for their price guide which I think is decent but haven't used much else on the site.

If you're trying to convince members that your opinion is correct, you need to post some, data, links or other proof.  Especially if you're going to rely on poor quality pics and then belittle the members for disagreeing like @foundit did.

For the record, I really don't care what anyone thinks,Iwas looking for some opinions/answers and then looking for any consistencies , all I seemed to get was migget foot ball,as far as belittling, give me a break, read the coded/sheilded garbage thats coming in my direction, especially the standing down thing, wat a joke - anyways, yea I know the pics are low quality, oh well, who cares, I don't, that's for sure - the answer to the question on where it came from is this, had to get a couple of us quarter rolls from a boa for change purposes, and that coin and a 2013 Canadian war of 1812( in proof like condition) were in the rolls - was totally surprised, to  to put it lightly. I all have to back track on where I found the Canada mint error info. 

Be good

On 10/19/2022 at 10:52 AM, foundit said:

.... it amazes me the arrogance here, it seems to ooze from the pores so bad ,that the stench , actually comes through the pda....

Well, I wouldn't go that far.  Some members take the hobby, seriously.  One such collector is asking you to substantiate your claim and you're quick to put the onus on him, and by extension, the rest of us by directing we research the issue. Nobody doubts the coins have an odd look, but to suggest they were a mint by-product, is a stretch. 

@foundit

Re "standing down"... there is no way I can prove it, but my gut instinct tells me when the weight of the opinion is considerable, if not conclusive, your average collector will reconsider the evidence and walk away. He will not submit to a TPGS. It is, of course, possible, a dissenting view will be offered, but I personally would not submit in the absence of any such encouragement.

Too few people understand how FEW things can happen to a coin inside a mint, and the nearly unlimited nastiness that can happen to it after it has left a mint. I’d put the ratio at one to several thousand, at a minimum.