• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd look
1 1

39 posts in this topic

Don't mind if I do...

Welcome to the Forum!

My first impression is "mottled."  A member with more experience will likely conclude, post-mint damage [with a request for better photographs].

I can confirm for you that it is an odd look. As it turns out, an odd look is not numismatically important. 

On 10/10/2022 at 12:27 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Don't mind if I do...

Welcome to the Forum!

My first impression is "mottled."  A member with more experience will likely conclude, post-mint damage [with a request for better photographs].

I think Canada is mint error

On 10/10/2022 at 6:50 PM, foundit said:

On 10/10/2022 at 6:50 PM, foundit said:

The Canadian quarter IS NOT an error of any kind.  Knowledgeable members who understand the minting process have told you it can't occur during the minting process.  It's heavy circulation damage

Edit to add

In order for a coin to be an error you must be able to describe how it occurred during the minting or die making process.  Just because it looks different or you can't explain how the damage occurred doesn't make it an error.  There are countless ways for a coin to be damaged, but only a limited number of ways for an error to occur

Edited by Oldhoopster

RWB's explanation is almost certainly the correct one for the cent and nickel. I've found coins that looked like this lying on parking lots and in roadways.

The Canadian quarter appears (most likely) to have been etched by acid.  It could also have been damaged by high heat, coated with some foreign substance, or be a crude counterfeit.  It's hard to tell from the photos.  Had the roughness been in the planchet (blank), it would have been smoothed out by the pressure of striking.  If the roughness was imparted by the dies, a number of others with identical roughness should exist.  Some much older coins were struck with rusted dies, but none I've seen has this extent of roughness.  Modern die-making, storage and inspection procedures make it incredibly unlikely that such a die would be put in service today. 

As others have mentioned, to designate a coin as a mint error, one must be able to explain how the error occurred during the minting process. Neither I nor the other experienced collectors who have responded have such an explanation for the quarter.  If you still think it's an error, what is yours?

The Canada looks like a finish issue, weather manade after mint or sethimh gone wrong at mint,  too consistent for road rash,  these coins are steel with nickel plate, if I had something better for photo , u could see the number thing I'm pointing out

On 10/11/2022 at 6:19 AM, foundit said:

The Canada looks like a finish issue, weather manade after mint or sethimh gone wrong at mint,  too consistent for road rash,  these coins are steel with nickel plate, if I had something better for photo , u could see the number thing I'm pointing out

Then send it in. Highly qualified people have told you it's nothing special, and if you argue with them, you are in effect admitting they're right. If you were really certain they were wrong, you wouldn't waste your time.

Thus, if you are really certain they are wrong, nothing is gained from trying to convince them. You should stop arguing and submit it for grading so the TPG can confirm your perceptions, then post it here and scoff at your doubters. I'm sure the TPG will supply sharper photos so that you can show everyone here exactly what they were missing due to photographic weaknesses.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:32 AM, foundit said:

Wow, deep response man

Comes of seeing this play out a few hundred times over the years. Answer is simple. If you have the courage of your convictions, send it in. If you do not, keep trying to convince people who have zero vested interest in the outcome. If you're right, you have a guaranteed win. It's not complicated.

On 10/11/2022 at 11:32 AM, foundit said:

Wow, deep response man

But an accurate response

Since an error has to occur during the minting or die making process, would you please explain where and how this error occurred?  Many members who are extremely Knowledgeable of the minting process have said that this cannot occur at the mint.  Can you provide additional information on how you believe this occurred? 

Will be waiting for your input

Cant really tell from the pics but the Canada looks to me like it may have been exposed to some kind of acid.  I agree with everyone else that its damage. 

On 10/11/2022 at 11:41 AM, Oldhoopster said:

But an accurate response

Since an error has to occur during the minting or die making process, would you please explain where and how this error occurred?  Many members who are extremely Knowledgeable of the minting process have said that this cannot occur at the mint.  Can you provide additional information on how you believe this occurred? 

Will be waiting for your inputthe

The penny - my thought, because I can see in person, the nicks on the side, look mint (90% on that)

The obverse , who knows, that's why I put it out there 

The Canada,  I'm thinking mint error , I think it's when, they did the nickel plating ,finish screwups,that issue u c covers the entire coin not side - I really don't want this to get too long winded , but I found a Canada 5cent like this ,mid 2ks, and(this doesn't mean much :-)  I find something on the net that had the se finish - that's why I reached out to see wat kind of response I d get

Thx

If you're still convinced that the Canadian quarter is some sort of rare and valuable mint error, you should show it to serious error collectors or reputable dealers who deal in errors--major coin shows are good for this--or pay to submit it to a reputable grading service such as NGC, PCGS or ANACS.  

"Plating errors" such as the bubbles frequently found on Lincoln cents of 1983-89 are regarded as poor quality control rather than as mint errors and are not valued by collectors.  Where did you see one that sold for $2,000?

There are several people that put junk pocket change on the internet and ask thousands for them. Espically on etsy. That dont mean thats what they are worth. 

I believe it cruel to suggest anyone submit such coins, thereby compounding the "error" at great cost.

I am going to do the unthinkable and seize upon something another member said and ask point-blank: WHERE DID YOU GET THESE FROM?

(I would really like to know whether you found these or bought them, for how much, from whom and where, but we'll cross those bridges, if and when, we come to them.. The ball is back in your court.  Relax, OH, the closing "expression" is directed to the OP!)

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Desire to refine wordsmithing skills.

On 10/15/2022 at 5:05 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I believe it cruel to suggest anyone submit such coins, thereby compounding the "error" at great cost

Disagree with your comment.  When multiple experienced members are all in agreement that a coin is damaged, but the new collector still disagrees, then authentication by a TPG (or CONECA) would be the next step.  Sometimes tuition can be expensive, but different people learn in different ways.  Just my opinion.  Your mileage may vary

@Oldhoopster:

You may be right, but to quote a famous broadcaster, Warner "let's go to the videotape" Wolf, herewith a scenario...

Q.A.::  Where did you get this coin from, Ricky?

🐓 :  (NO REPLY)

Q.A.:  Alright then, submit it!

🐓:  Oops, the jig is up!

I believe when confronted with hard-ball-playing experienced members, wielding unvarying, collective opinion, any collector, rather than submit, will stand down.  You have been around and about long enough to know better than I would whether any poster ever flat-out contradicted the weight of the evidence and fooled the experts. I'll give you that.  (thumbsu

On 10/15/2022 at 5:47 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Oldhoopster:

I believe when confronted with hard-ball-playing experienced members, wielding unvarying, collective opinion, any collector, rather than submit, will stand down.  You have been around and about long enough to know better than I would whether any poster ever flat-out contradicted the weight of the evidence and fooled the experts. I'll give you that.  (thumbsu

I understand where you're coming from.   I can recall a few instances over the years where the consensus opinion  has been wrong, but in those limited occurrences, it was an unusual, seldom encountered error, and there were always a few knowledgeable people who were contrarians.  But you could probably count them on one hand. 

This example is incredibly obvious to all but the newest collector.  While we try to do our best to answer ALL questions as accurately as possible, if the OP disagrees, shouldn't we give him other options?  Just my thoughts

On 10/14/2022 at 11:24 AM, Sandon said:

If you're still convinced that the Canadian quarter is some sort of rare and valuable mint error, you should show it to serious error collectors or reputable dealers who deal in errors--major coin shows are good for this--or pay to submit it to a reputable grading service such as NGC, PCGS or ANACS.  

"Plating errors" such as the bubbles frequently found on Lincoln cents of 1983-89 are regarded as poor quality control rather than as mint errors and are not valued by collectors.  Where did you see one that sold for $2,000?

Where did I say anything about 2k$

On 10/15/2022 at 4:20 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Disagree with your comment.  When multiple experienced members are all in agreement that a coin is damaged, but the new collector still disagrees, then authentication by a TPG (or CONECA) would be the next step.  Sometimes tuition can be expensive, but different people learn in different ways.  Just my opinion.  Your mileage may vary

Hafta say I’m with Quintus on this. I will NEVER concede when I am correct. It’s not in my DNA. These coins are all damaged junk. 

On 10/14/2022 at 9:54 AM, foundit said:

I really don't want this to get too long winded , but I found a Canada 5cent like this ,mid 2ks, and(this doesn't mean much :-) 

On 10/18/2022 at 10:16 AM, foundit said:

Where did I say anything about 2k$

@foundit--I thought you were referring to a Canadian nickel that sold for over $2,000, though on re-reading it, perhaps you were referring to the era when you found the nickel.  I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but to avoid such misunderstandings it's better to write things out.

On 10/18/2022 at 11:26 AM, VKurtB said:

Hafta say I’m with Quintus on this. I will NEVER concede when I am correct. It’s not in my DNA. These coins are all damaged junk. 

["...rather be right than nice."  :roflmao:  Yup, got a long memory!]  doh! 

On 10/18/2022 at 4:58 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

["...rather be right than nice."  :roflmao:  Yup, got a long memory!]  doh! 

On 10/18/2022 at 11:41 AM, Sandon said:

@foundit--I thought you were referring to a Canadian nickel that sold for over $2,000, though on re-reading it, perhaps you were referring to the era when you found the nickel.  I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but to avoid such misunderstandings it's better to write things out.

I did and there's no here