• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Washington Quarters - What to do with Them?

7 posts in this topic

Hi NGC Forum,

Happened to get a couple of Silver Washington Quarters in my change the other day.

1936 & 1940 respectively. I know not exactly the best of condition. Photos below.

My question(s) come down to this: Are they worth keeping? Possible Sell? (Not saying anyone needs / wants them) Or just use them?

20221009_170216.jpg

20221009_170315.jpg

I always keep any silver that I find in change. It doesn't happen very often these days, though. I will either sell it as junk silver one day when the price is right, or give it to a YN.

You don't want to spend these, as the silver in them has value that substantially exceeds their face value.  To determine this value, which changes daily, obtain the current spot price of silver per troy ounce from a site such as kitco.com and multiply by 0.18084 for a pre-1965 quarter, 0.07234 for a pre-1965 dime, or 0.36169 for a pre-1965 half dollar.  This morning's silver price is $19.56 per ounce, which yields a value of approximately $3.53 per unworn silver quarter.  There would be a slight discount due to weight loss from wear.  Coin or bullion dealers would pay somewhat less than the spot value but likely still over $3 per quarter at current silver values.  

On 10/10/2022 at 11:02 AM, Sandon said:

You don't want to spend these, as the silver in them has value that substantially exceeds their face value.  To determine this value, which changes daily, obtain the current spot price of silver per troy ounce from a site such as kitco.com and multiply by 0.18084 for a pre-1965 quarter, 0.07234 for a pre-1965 dime, or 0.36169 for a pre-1965 half dollar.  This morning's silver price is $19.56 per ounce, which yields a value of approximately $3.53 per unworn silver quarter.  There would be a slight discount due to weight loss from wear.  Coin or bullion dealers would pay somewhat less than the spot value but likely still over $3 per quarter at current silver values.  

Sandon,

Thank You for the mathematics lesson with Silver (Sincerely said).

Your numbers give me a good reference point that I didn't have specifics on.

Once again.

Thanks

On 10/9/2022 at 4:18 PM, Greenstang said:

They are 90% silver but only worth bullion value in that condition so it is up to you want you want to do with them.

“I will hug him and squeeze him, and pet him and pat him, and call him George.”

I got a few that are worn down like that. I used them in my Whitman album. I may replace them with better ones one of these days but for now they are hole fillers. I always keep my worn silver coins. The ones I dont use in the album I keep in coin flips. Its easier for me to keep up with them. I may sell them for scrap one of these days. If not they will be passed down to my kids and they can do whatever with them.