• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this an error which would be recognised?
2 2

17 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2022 at 6:58 PM, Grosey said:

Hello everyone xD

I'm still getting the hang of coin grading. Is this 50p coin something that could be recognised as an error? Thanks

image.png

Okay, I’ll bite. What error?

On 10/31/2022 at 8:48 PM, VKurtB said:

Okay, I’ll bite. What error?

I'd rather ask Paul.  He can obviously see something we can't.

Paul-  What error?

On 10/31/2022 at 7:59 PM, tj96 said:

I'd rather ask Paul.  He can obviously see something we can't.

Paul-  What error?

The lack of synchronization of the rim segments?

On 10/31/2022 at 9:06 PM, VKurtB said:

The lack of synchronization of the rim segments?

I don't even know what type of coin it is.  Canadian?  British?

On 10/31/2022 at 8:11 PM, tj96 said:

U.K. 50 pence. 

On 11/1/2022 at 1:11 AM, tj96 said:

It's a G. Britain 50 pence EU stars coin. Yes, the error the the misalignment of the struck design on the planchet.

On 10/31/2022 at 9:15 PM, Grosey said:

It's a G. Britain 50 pence EU stars coin. Yes, the error the the misalignment of the struck design on the planchet.

Oh, okay.  Got it, thanks!

On 10/31/2022 at 8:15 PM, Grosey said:

Was the EU stars coin the beginning for 50p commemoratives? They have really exploded. So many. I have both the 2018 and 2019 10p alphabet complete in the BU type, not proofs. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/29/2022 at 3:22 PM, Grosey said:

I decided to send it in anyway... look at the results! 

image.png.7157366af8488d2f356fa217cda39c0d.png

Congrats on results. (thumbsu

After seeing both sides of the coin now, I'm a little surprised that NGC decided to call this a rotated obv die error, I guess it must have been right on the edge. It's a neat coin but not one I would have sent in, nor one I would expect to recover grading fees on. But you never know.

On 11/1/2022 at 4:43 AM, VKurtB said:

Was the EU stars coin the beginning for 50p commemoratives? They have really exploded. So many. I have both the 2018 and 2019 10p alphabet complete in the BU type, not proofs. 

Just revisited this forum and realised this never got answered! The beginning of 50p commemoratives was in 1973 when the 50p was the large size. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1382.html 

When the 50p was resized to be smaller in 1997, both this EU one and the NHS 50p were the first smaller commemoratives.

Also cool to have the alphabet sets. Interestingly, they are not actually Brilliant Uncirculated, they are struck to circulation standard but just never circulated.

I tried a rotate of a picture of your coin on my phone and it took about 20 degrees to get the alignment to come back into position. It sure doesn't look that far off when just observing it in the photo, but it only takes 15 degrees for NGC to give it the attribution. I am one who is less about value and more about the coin having the proper designation. Good outcome! (thumbsu