• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you like to "snipe"?

11 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2022 at 9:51 PM, Jalistair said:

Depends on what I am attempting to do.  If I want to win the item, I attempt to snipe it.  If I simply want to run up the price, I bid and see how things go. 

Why would you want to "run up the price?"

On 10/17/2022 at 5:59 PM, Just Bob said:

Why would you want to "run up the price?"

Simple, I don't want someone getting the same coin I did for a lower price. So if I am buying a coin, I snipe it.  If I have the coin I will bid a price I am willing to pay to duplicate the coin and if someone wants it more, they can pay for it. 

On 10/26/2022 at 10:17 AM, Jalistair said:

Simple, I don't want someone getting the same coin I did for a lower price. So if I am buying a coin, I snipe it.  If I have the coin I will bid a price I am willing to pay to duplicate the coin and if someone wants it more, they can pay for it. 

That has to be one of the most mean-spirited and childish things that I have ever read on this forum. What possible excuse can you have for not wanting someone to pay less than you for a coin? 

On 10/26/2022 at 4:39 PM, Just Bob said:

That has to be one of the most mean-spirited and childish things that I have ever read on this forum. What possible excuse can you have for not wanting someone to pay less than you for a coin? 

Why, resale value of coins.  The higher the sold price of a coin is, the more it drives up the market.  The lower the historical sale price of a coin is, the more it drives down the market.  So, let's say I have a coin in my collection and I see another one selling for less money at auction.  I can let it go and someone can pick it up at prices I can never pick up coins at, or I can bid at a price I am willing to pay for the coin and add it to my collection.  If the other bidder wants the coin more than I am willing to pay for a duplicate, they can have it. 

Sorry, but your premise is flawed. Paying higher prices does not always drive the market up, and even when it does, it is normally only for the very short term. The coin market flows in cycles, and many factors and trends affect whether the price rises or falls. One need only to look at past price trends to see this clearly. Some examples are Classic Commemoratives, Franklin halves, and Ike dollars, just to name a few. These coins have lost value, in some cases by half or more, compared to what they were selling for just a few years ago. If you go back further, say to around 2007, you will see that each of these types were selling even higher then than they were at their most recent peak.  And how many mint issues have jumped up in price immediately, only to fall back down almost as fast? The point is that paying more for them in the past did not "drive up the market" or cause them to maintain their high prices. All it did was make sure that the people who paid those high prices back then lost money if they sold them at any time since then. I imagine that you will have the same result with your purchases. It is your money to waste, if that is how you want to play the game, but you should realize that your selfishness and greed speak volumes about your character.