• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957-D penny multiple errors
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I opened a roll of 57s, and I'm not sure what's going on around the neck and chin. The neck look's like some kind of shifting, but not sure. And does the 5 in date look like some kind of numeral in front of the hump of the 5. I was thinking a 4,, but it can also be die break maybe. I'm possibly off on the whole diagnosis lol. Thanks for any advice. 

20220930_125051.jpg

20220930_125547.jpg

Cents and other U.S. coins dated from about 1956 into the early 1960s frequently developed die chips causing numerals and/or letters and other features to appear clogged or have protrusions like these. Your coin appears to have such chips around the date and the lower loop of the "B" in "LIBERTY" and also around Lincoln's chin.  I think that this phenomenon is all that your coin exhibits, although it's possible that close-up photos of the affected areas could show something else.  

There was a fad of collecting these coins decades ago, with the most popular being cents (most often 1956-Ds) that had a chip between the "B" and "E" of "LIBERTY', which was called a "BIE" or "LIBIERTY" error.  The coins never had much value, however, and the fad is long gone.  If you find them interesting, you're welcome to collect and enjoy them.

Added 10/3/22--This thread inspired me to create a new topic about the "BIE" and "LIBIERTY" die chip varieties, with photos of 1956, 1957 and 1957-D examples that I found in my box of common wheat cents taken from circulation over the decades.  This topic is posted at

Edited by Sandon
update with reference to new topic

On 9/30/2022 at 2:33 PM, Sandon said:

Cents and other U.S. coins dated from about 1956 into the early 1960s frequently developed die chips causing numerals and/or letters and other features to appear clogged or have protrusions like these. Your coin appears to have such chips around the date and the lower loop of the "B" in "LIBERTY" and also around Lincoln's chin.  I think that this phenomenon is all that your coin exhibits, although it's possible that close-up photos of the affected areas could show something else.  

There was a fad of collecting these coins decades ago, with the most popular being cents (most often 1956-Ds) that had a chip between the "B" and "E" of "LIBERTY', which was called a "BIE" or "LIBIERTY" error.  The coins never had much value, however, and the fad is long gone.  If you find them interesting, you're welcome to collect and enjoy them.

Thank you Sandon, appreciate the good information. Here's a shot straight up and down with the scope. Hope this helps a little bit.

20220930_145048.jpg

This still appears to be a chip or sunken area on the die, not an overdate or something else of great interest or value.  (Scrap or other foreign matter on the die would result in a depression on the struck coin, not something raised.)

So I sent this coin in, just to get another opinion ,that way they had the coin in hand. Lamination through 5 in date, and Extreme abrasion doubling around neck , chin,  lips. Interesting piece, on to hunting again. Thanks everyone 

20221008_113710.jpg

So, with the description "lamination flap through the 5 of date" does that mean a lamination flap from another coin ended up on the die which was then struck thru on that coin resulting in a depressed area at the 5 of the date, or does that mean a lamination flap from that coin which was through the 5 coming off later?

Also, weren't you guys discussing a raised area at the 5 previously. And I am just curious what error or variety that you thought it was which isn't a production issue to send it out for an evaluation 

On 10/8/2022 at 2:42 PM, EagleRJO said:

So, with the description "lamination flap through the 5 of date" does that mean a lamination flap from another coin ended up on the die which was then struck thru on that coin resulting in a depressed area at the 5 of the date, or does that mean a lamination flap from that coin which was through the 5 coming off later?

Also, weren't you guys discussing a raised area at the 5 previously. And I am just curious what error or variety that you thought it was which isn't a production issue to send it out for an evaluation 

Hi RJO, yeah we were talking about if it was raised or not. Thought it might be a four. But I took it as die chips with what was said. But I couldn't see die chips all over that coin. So to be sure I wanted someone to have a closer look with the coin in hand. No offense to anyone's thoughts on this coin, but just getting better knowledge on what is the exact error taken place on this coin. There's no reason to send in something like this to get evaluation but did anyways before throwing it back in circulation. But instead I'm putting it in my error collection. 

Yea, that's fine, I was just curious what errors or variety it may have been. I'm still curious what the evaluation meant in reference to the 5.

I went through that same roll and found this one. Don't know whether or not if that lamination came from this coin. But what a coincidence, I'm pretty sure it would be hard to prove though. hm

20221008_160501.jpg

20221008_160547.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There's an unwritten rule about USA coins struck in the 1950s and early 60s is: Poor quality control, by itself, is not a mint error or variety.

If people could remember this, it would save me a lot of wasted time and them a lot of wasted money...