• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NCG grading cost

20 posts in this topic

I understand that they have add-ons things that you might want done for the grading. But I am not good with technology I'm old and I get confused easily recovering from heart attack so I'm having some issues but I can't figure out what it's going to cost? I have about 30 coins not sure if I should just send the best of those or all of them at one time. I would greatly appreciate any assistance that this community could offer. I got into coin roll hunting and then collecting because I'm sending retired I'm bored but I'm actually starting to like this and I want you to improve my education thank . Looking forward to your response.

Montez welcome to the forum.  It is hard to determine the actual cost associated with having your coins graded without seeing them.  I my experience coins  pulled from coin roll hunting are not the best to send for grading as the cost to have them graded will far exceed the value of the coin.  there are a few caveats with error coins but even some of these do not garner the need to slab them.   hope this helps as my opinion.

I advise that you go to the NGC home page and review the items under the "SUBMIT" tab at the top of the page, especially "HOW TO SUBMIT", "COINS WE GRADE AND POLICIES", and most importantly "SERVICES & FEES".  In essence, the costs include (1) a service charge of $10 per submission form, regardless of the number of coins submitted, (2) a grading fee per coin whose amount is determined by the "tier" selected for the entire form, which depends upon the value range of the coins submitted, their age, and whether they are U.S. or foreign and, (3) charges for shipping and insurance.  (You also have to arrange shipping to NGC or submit at coin show attended by NGC, listed as "EVENTS" under the "SUBMISSION" tab. There are additional charges for attribution by die variety, special holders, etc. if desired. You also have to purchase an NGC membership with submission privileges. If you download and fill out a submission form, it should automatically calculate the total cost.

A coin is only worth submitting for certification from a financial standpoint if it is worth several hundred dollars or more, and you should have sufficient knowledge to determine whether it has such value.  I don't know how much knowledge you have about your coins.  A reputable dealer may be able to assist you in making this determination and in submitting coins worthy of certification.  If you want to learn about coins yourself, you may want to look at the following article that I posted on this forum:

Welcome to the forum, without seeing what you have it is impossible to provide you with any sort of meaningful feedback, the best anyone can do is direct you to the main NGC page where you can follow the steps to submit and see the costs.   If these are all coins you found coin roll hunting, while possible, it is unlikely that you have anything that would be worth the cost to submit.   On average it costs around $30 (a bit less for moderns and a bit more for older coins) per coin, so to be worth sending in you need the coins to have a value that exceeds the cost of submitting.

My suggestion is that you take the three coins that like the best and that you think are valuable, read the post at the top of these section of the forum on how to post coin photos, and post them here for us to see and give you feedback on.    Very few coins found in circulation are valuable enough to benefit from sending to a TPG, and in my experience most that are new to the hobby are not skilled enough to understand what is or is not valuable.   There is a ton of misinformation on the web about the riches that can found in your pocket change.

Thank you for the speedy response and thank you for the valuable information I'm prepping for this hurricane right now but as soon as I get a chance I'll get some pictures out so y'all can give me some advice thank you oh and one more thing what about any of the new shield pennies I have a few of those that have a lot of doubling but I haven't seen anything about it on any of the coin shows just a question thank you

On 9/27/2022 at 8:12 AM, Montez6969 said:

I got into coin roll hunting and then collecting because I'm sending retired I'm bored but I'm actually starting to like this and I want you to improve my education thank.

Thats how I started out and progressed to more serious collecting. An important thing to get early is how coins are made and what can happen during the process.  The US Mint has some good basic info and vids on this ...  Production Process | U.S. Mint (usmint.gov). And there are coin error site that also discuss the minting process like here ... Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties (doubleddie.com). Also see Sandon's post above with some further info and books you can get, and ones about grading are particularly important for newer collectors as that is a really tough area to get a good handle on the basics.

On 9/27/2022 at 11:03 AM, Sandon said:

A reputable dealer may be able to assist you in making this determination and in submitting coins worthy of certification.  If you want to learn about coins yourself, you may want to look at the following article that I posted on this forum:

Bringing the coins to a local dealer listed with ANA or PNG may be a good option to get an opinion of if it may be worth sending any of them in for grading, but as others have said it's pretty rare to find coins from pocket change or roll hunting worth sending in.

Btw, I still don't get that you have to assign a value (not just some ballpark ranges) and identify varieties you may want to have attributed to a coin. How is a non-expert going to establish those things without a grade or extensive knowledge about a coin series, and isn't that part of the point with submitting coins to an expert TPG service.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/27/2022 at 1:36 PM, EagleRJO said:

Btw, I still don't get that you have to assign a value (not just some ballpark ranges) and identify varieties you may want to have attributed to a coin. How is a non-expert going to establish those things without a grade or extensive knowledge about a coin series, and isn't that part of the point with submitting coins to an expert TPG service.

It sounds to me that you are not understanding the service, you are paying the TPG to verify your work of identifying the variety, not to do the work of discovering the variety.   If you think the turnaround times are long or the fees high now just think how long (and expensive) it would be if they had to spend hours on each coin looking at multiple references to see if the coin you have sent is or is not a variety.

Good point. I don't submit coins since I have and want to keep mostly raw coins but was more just curious about that.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/27/2022 at 5:45 PM, Coinbuf said:

It sounds to me that you are not understanding the service, you are paying the TPG to verify your work of identifying the variety, not to do the work of discovering the variety.   If you think the turnaround times are long or the fees high now just think how long (and expensive) it would be if they had to spend hours on each coin looking at multiple references to see if the coin you have sent is or is not a variety.

Do TPG have to have verification paper work to label a variety or will they do it on your say so or if it is obvious ? 

Edited by J P M

On 9/27/2022 at 11:48 AM, Montez6969 said:

Thank you for the speedy response and thank you for the valuable information I'm prepping for this hurricane right now but as soon as I get a chance I'll get some pictures out so y'all can give me some advice thank you oh and one more thing what about any of the new shield pennies I have a few of those that have a lot of doubling but I haven't seen anything about it on any of the coin shows just a question thank you

I am not aware of any significant DDO's for the shield cents, however I don't collect variety's so I don't follow them that closely.   I checked on Variety Vista and I found only two listed DDO's that involve the shield, both from 2021-D coins.   Again there could be others listed on other sites like CONECA, however I only checked this one resource, here is a link to the VV website for the shield cents.

Variety Vista

Generally speaking most of the DDO and DDR's that have happened after the mint went to the single squeeze method of die making have been very minor.   As such very few have values over the face value of the coin, most of what folks new to coins think is die doubling is instead simple strike or mechanical doubling.   Both of these are common striking quality issues at the mint and while sometimes interesting, do not add numismatic value to coins.   I suggest that you read and study the information available at doubleddie .com to help you understand how a doubled die happens vs strike doubling.

Doubledie wbsite

Also something to keep in mind, NGC does not authenticate every variety, some are too minor for them to do so.   So before you send anything to NGC you must check to see if what you think you have will be attributed by NGC.   You can check that by looking at the variety plus portion of the NGC site, if what you have is not listed there currently NGC will not authenticate it.

NGC variety listings

On 9/27/2022 at 3:03 PM, J P M said:

Do TPG have to have verification paper work to label a variety or will they do it on your say so or if it is obvious ? 

There are many obvious varieties that the TPG's do as part of the grading, the 55/55 Lincoln cent, and the 3 legged bufalo are examples of coins that the TPG's will note on the label and authenticate as part of the grading process/fee.   There are others those two are the two that first came to my mind.

One quick question since we are talking about doubling, even though I'm not really into errors. Did switching from just having a master die for a year to having a master hub and multiple master dies made from that to accommodate the increased coin production for the times result in more doubled dies, at least until they switched to the single squeeze method of die production. It seems like it would since there would then be more steps where that could occur.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/27/2022 at 3:36 PM, EagleRJO said:

Nope. 

On 9/27/2022 at 5:03 PM, J P M said:

You have to know which variety YOU think it is, and no, you can’t just think it is one. All the TPG firm does is confirm your belief IF IT EVEN IS A VARIETY THEY RECOGNIZE. 

On 9/27/2022 at 7:12 PM, VKurtB said:

You have to know which variety YOU think it is, and no, you can’t just think it is one. All the TPG firm does is confirm your belief IF IT EVEN IS A VARIETY THEY RECOGNIZE. 

I believe ANACS will research and attribute varieties if the submitter does not know. The charge used to be like $12.00 if I rrecall.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:13 PM, Simple Collector said:

I believe ANACS will research and attribute varieties if the submitter does not know. The charge used to be like $12.00 if I rrecall.

If they do, that’s crazy. 

Hi all,
I am about to proceed with my first sumbmission of coins to be graded by NGC.
I have downloaded their form and I am ready to put all the details needed there.
The coins are of the foll categories:
a) Sovereign gold pre 1965
b) sovereign gold (proof or BU) post 1965
c) Greek gold Euros 2004

But I cannot understand which Tier should I choose. 
Should it be MODERN for all post 1965 coins? And then do I need to have a separate form for the pre '65 sovereigns, which should be on the GOLD tier? Am i right?

On 10/5/2022 at 4:52 AM, Lambretta said:

Hi all,
I am about to proceed with my first sumbmission of coins to be graded by NGC.
I have downloaded their form and I am ready to put all the details needed there.
The coins are of the foll categories:
a) Sovereign gold pre 1965
b) sovereign gold (proof or BU) post 1965
c) Greek gold Euros 2004

But I cannot understand which Tier should I choose. 
Should it be MODERN for all post 1965 coins? And then do I need to have a separate form for the pre '65 sovereigns, which should be on the GOLD tier? Am i right?

It depends what you value them at. Assuming that these are all valued under 3k each I would use the following tiers.

a) Sovereign gold pre 1965 GOLD TIER
b) sovereign gold (proof or BU) post 1965 MODERN TIER
c) Greek gold Euros 2004 MODERN TIER

The pre '65 Sov., gold tier, will have to be on a separate submission form but you can ship all of it in one package and request that NGC ship both orders together. Not sure how many coins your submitting but I normally wait until I have at least 10+ coins to send in on a single form.

It would be best to start a new thread next time and welcome to the forum. (thumbsu