• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Is Registry member Coin Fisher again trying to transfer coins in my set to his?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

While it is not a massive issue the registry does not have any way (other than the denial of transfer) to actually know who owns the coins that are placed into sets.   This leads to a few random slimeballs that try (and are successful with some coins) to build sets with coins that they do not actually own.   Sorry that this has been an ongoing issue for you, the registry is great but there always seems to be that one person.    Hopefully the registry team will be able to toss this bum out on his ear.

I have proposed in the past that NGC (or any competitive registry) should every year attempt to confirm ownership of a few random sets by contacting the set owner to verify that the coins are still valid.   I get that the staff is limited and extra work is just that; extra; but it sure could be useful in weeding out the sets that have been sold but not removed, and the few that are trying to game the system.

Bty that 1922 matte Peace you recently acquired is amazing!

• Administrator

Hello.

We currently see no pending transfer requests in your name or the other collector's name, so you must have successfully rejected them all. We have reached out to the collector. Thank you for letting us know about the situation. If it does happen again, please let my team know via email at registry@NGCcoin.com.

Thank you Ali! Yes my set contains 31 coins, and I went through the process of declining the transfer 31 times yesterday. It's just a pain to have to do- and if I had been on vacation and not looked at my email for a week conceivably I could come home and the set would be gone! And we're talking a #1 set with 12 "Best in Category" wins. It's dishonest, deliberate, and should warrant a ban in my humble opinion. 

On 9/21/2022 at 9:54 AM, Ali E. said:

Hello.

We currently see no pending transfer requests in your name or the other collector's name, so you must have successfully rejected them all. We have reached out to the collector. Thank you for letting us know about the situation. If it does happen again, please let my team know via email at registry@NGCcoin.com.

This request has happened to me several times. When a person requests a transfer and the coin is in your possession and you reject it and then hear nothing further then it should be obviuos to NGC that the request was invalid.I would like to know  what sort of Penalty NGC assigns to the person requesting the transfer when they have to know that the coin is not in their possession? There should be a suspension etc, for it. The other poster is correct in that they might be on vacation and not be aware of the request and in three days their coin is transferred from them.

On 9/20/2022 at 2:26 PM, Coinbuf said:

While it is not a massive issue the registry does not have any way (other than the denial of transfer) to actually know who owns the coins that are placed into sets.   This leads to a few random slimeballs that try (and are successful with some coins) to build sets with coins that they do not actually own.   Sorry that this has been an ongoing issue for you, the registry is great but there always seems to be that one person....

I have proposed in the past that NGC (or any competitive registry) should every year attempt to confirm ownership of a few random sets by contacting the set owner to verify that the coins are still valid.   I get that the staff is limited an extra work is just that; extra; but it sure could be useful in weeding out the sets that have been sold but not removed, and the few that are trying to game the system....

A great many valid points are raised here. It used to be if a purchase I made halfway around the world was finalized, I could add that coin to my Registry on the West coast immediately.

Then, registrants were told they could not add a coin until it had been delivered and in hand.  A procedural detail was added: the seller was given three (3) days to confirm the sale and "relinquish" ownership of it formally.  For local buys, I would send them a copy of the invoice to expedite the process. Another thing, which I thought to be intrusive: they would not permit the Registrant to list the price paid for the coin(s) in euros. I did, but it didn't stop me from wondering aloud... Whose set is this, yours -- or mine? I agree with Coinbuf. If we could exercise more discretion in who can remain on the Registry, we could free up 37% of the staff, across-the-board, to devote more time to fine-tuning the Registry census, reduce turn-around times and enhance what is already an admirable, user-friendly experience.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die-polishing.