• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time for the TPGs to start certifying Cheerios pattern reverse dollars pulled from circulation

9 posts in this topic

I submit that it is no longer necessary for a TPG to remove a Cheerios pattern reverse dollar from the original holder in order to certify it as a Cheerios pattern reverse coin. I have now seen in hand two circulated pattern reverse Cheerios dollars certified by a major TPG. As we have long speculated, many of them were simply spent after being removed from cereal boxes. That is what many a non-collector kid would have done.

There was no trouble being certain of their attribution and/or authenticity. You can leave the word "Cheerios" off of the label if you wish and just certify it as a pattern coin with the FS number, but any competent Authenticator can certify these coins as genuine. The grading is what the grading is.

TD

I would not presume to know precisely what an Authenticator's job entails, but hey, what do I know? A gauntlet here has been laid down. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

On 9/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, RWB said:

Makes sense. The package does not define its contents.

Then again, if the packages were specially marked, "Pop goes the weasel."   :roflmao: