• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1870 S$1 ____NGC taken photos show it

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I'm afraid that's just the illusion of an S mintmark. NGC's Explorer photo reveals that the mintmark on an 1870-S dollar is centered below the feather tip and just slightly below it:  

$1870-S rev.jpg

@Derek Bentley, are you thinking that the date portion of the NGC label which reads "1870 S$1" means that this is a dollar minted in SF?   The S after the date is not for the mint but rather it stands for silver as in a silver dollar, not a dollar minted at the SF mint.   Here is one of my Morgan dollar slabs, as you can see it also has the "S$1" but the mintmark (in this case S for SF) is placed before the "S$1".

1880sds-obv.jpg

On 9/14/2022 at 1:48 PM, DWLange said:

I'm afraid that's just the illusion of an S mintmark. NGC's Explorer photo reveals that the mintmark on an 1870-S dollar is centered below the feather tip and just slightly below it:  

$1870-S rev.jpg

Funny how the markers are forgot. That which determines authenticity. It has the markers that what the circles show.  I could care more about it if I didn't have better. Found this 1927D the other day. 

Screenshot_20221116-103658_eBay.jpg

On 9/14/2022 at 7:24 PM, Coinbuf said:

@Derek Bentley, are you thinking that the date portion of the NGC label which reads "1870 S$1" means that this is a dollar minted in SF?   The S after the date is not for the mint but rather it stands for silver as in a silver dollar, not a dollar minted at the SF mint.   Here is one of my Morgan dollar slabs, as you can see it also has the "S$1" but the mintmark (in this case S for SF) is placed before the "S$1".

1880sds-obv.jpg

Oh really then how does this read? 1870 Not silver $1 dollar??? 

20221015_132945.jpg

On 11/24/2022 at 1:15 AM, Derek Bentley said:

Oh really then how does this read? 1870 Not silver $1 dollar??? 

Its called a mechanical error, when the person typing out the cert info he/she left off that letter.  And thanks for the super snarky reply several months after your initial post, showing your true age I guess. :baiting:

On 11/24/2022 at 2:07 PM, Coinbuf said:

showing your true age I guess. :baiting:

Judging by the attitude and terrible sentence structure and grammar, I would guess about 15.

Edited by Just Bob
Typo

On 11/24/2022 at 1:11 PM, Just Bob said:

Judging by the attitude and terrible sentence structure and grammar, I would guess about 15.

Perhaps he was just let out of detention. lol