• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 US State Quarter with many errors?

12 posts in this topic

Sorry that it turned out that the coin wasn't one with any extra value, which are actually hard to find. If it's any consolation I do have ones that are in worse shape as I actually save coins that I find in parking lots with variations of the best and the worst ones I come across, and thus my previous reference to that with some humor that I realize you probably didn't get. And since you are just starting out there was a recent thread that discusses resources for newer collectors which may be helpful located here: 

On 9/14/2022 at 1:39 AM, Katalina238 said:

I appreciate everyones feedback.Although it wasn't the answer I was hoping for.  Especially the sarcastic ones.  But, I thank you all the same...EagleRJO. 

I'm curious about what made you think this was anything other than a damaged coin?

Whenever I see see "many errors" I become skeptical as it is hard enough to find a single error, let alone many. 

@Katalina, if you are interested in learning, suggest two things, learn how coins are minted. An error can only occur during the striking f the coin so by knowing the minting process, and how coins are produced, you can eliminate many of these "errors" as damage. Remember, there are many more ways a coin can be damaged than there are ways to  create an error. Next would be to go on a website such  as errors-ref.com. This will give you some insite as to what an actual error looks like. There are also other references there that can help.

On 9/14/2022 at 2:42 PM, Greenstang said:

Next would be to go on a website such as errors-ref.com

That is a good resource for people error hunting, and it has a section titled "Non Errors" which may be helpful for newer collectors or error hunters to weed out some basic things like various types of coin damage that are not mint errors, with another section that has a "Comprehensive Error-Variety Checklist" to then narrow down the possible error. I also found this "Variety & Errors" site when looking for info on rotated dies:

VARIETY & ERRORS - Everything on Currency and Collectibles! (www.varietyerrors.com)

And if you are just into errors the attached book with values may be helpful.

00 Book - The Official Price Guide to Mint Errors 6th ED 2002.jpg

On 9/14/2022 at 11:42 AM, Greenstang said:

Whenever I see see "many errors" I become skeptical as it is hard enough to find a single error, let alone many. 

@Katalina, if you are interested in learning, suggest two things, learn how coins are minted. An error can only occur during the striking f the coin so by knowing the minting process, and how coins are produced, you can eliminate many of these "errors" as damage. Remember, there are many more ways a coin can be damaged than there are ways to  create an error. Next would be to go on a website such  as errors-ref.com. This will give you some insite as to what an actual error looks like. There are also other references there that can help.

Nice!  Thank you.  I'll check it out.