• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asking for an Opinion

28 posts in this topic

In your opinion, what country either has (or had, for Euro countries) the most beautiful or interesting recent circulating coins. A first “off the top” choice for me are the pre-Euro  French pieces, particularly the higher denominations. And for the MOST CURRENT coins, I have to go with the United Kingdom, with Denmark a close second. Japan’s are classic, in that the basic designs are very stable. Switzerland gets a nod for sheer quality of strikes. 

Not up on current designs, but I'd give the United States top honors for coin designs going back before currencies began to float (c. 1973).  I'm biased to larger precious metal coins, I admit.

I think Saint-Gaudens, Liberty DEs, and Morgans are really beautiful.  I'm sure other countries had interesting coins -- thanks to QA for informing me of the unique appeal of Roosters. (thumbsu 

I’d have to go with the United Kingdom. I do like the others that you mentioned as well. I might even give the nod to the French. 
I do like some of the older Denmark medals. 

...since u ask...beautiful n interesting r qualities diff to quantify...so, imo only...i find the coins of france n italy circa 1910-20s very interesting n beautiful in classical artistic design...i also find the more recent icelandic coins quite interesting also their 1930 issues...as for US issues mostly boring n ugly coins, the vaunted SG $20 looks like a bar room brawler who lost n is stomping grapes a really beefy looking woman without grace, the morgan dollar almost as bad reminds me of the washer woman in many movies only modestly saved by the reverse...the peace dollar n the SG $10 r very artistic...the only truly beautiful US designs r the three from 1916...dime, quarter, half...i find several coin designs from GB to be very attractive but mostly back into the 19th century, luna n the lion n the gothic design come to mind...there u have it, my 1 1/2 cents worth....

On 9/7/2022 at 8:38 AM, zadok said:

...since u ask...beautiful n interesting r qualities diff to quantify...so, imo only...i find the coins of france n italy circa 1910-20s very interesting n beautiful in classical artistic design...i also find the more recent icelandic coins quite interesting also their 1930 issues...as for US issues mostly boring n ugly coins, the vaunted SG $20 looks like a bar room brawler who lost n is stomping grapes a really beefy looking woman without grace, the morgan dollar almost as bad reminds me of the washer woman in many movies only modestly saved by the reverse...the peace dollar n the SG $10 r very artistic...the only truly beautiful US designs r the three from 1916...dime, quarter, half...i find several coin designs from GB to be very attractive but mostly back into the 19th century, luna n the lion n the gothic design come to mind...there u have it, my 1 1/2 cents worth....

What iconic figures do foreign countries have, though ?  Lady Liberty on the SG and Liberty DEs...plus on the Morgan Dollar.....and the iconic eagle...they might not be one's favorite, but I wouldn't say they were ugly or bad.

@zadok:

I'm speechless! The Rooster procession was rudely truncated at the 1910th parallel. All the "originals" were discarded. How could you?  And the remarks about U.S. classic coinage [though somewhat true in certain respects] were entirely gratuitous. One can reveal a great deal about one's self in casual comments!  :roflmao:

On 9/6/2022 at 11:17 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Not up on current designs, but I'd give the United States top honors for coin designs going back before currencies began to float (c. 1973).  I'm biased to larger precious metal coins, I admit.

I think Saint-Gaudens, Liberty DEs, and Morgans are really beautiful.  I'm sure other countries had interesting coins -- thanks to QA for informing me of the unique appeal of Roosters. (thumbsu 

So you consider Saints as circulating coins? Interesting. 

On 9/7/2022 at 2:15 PM, RWB said:

The U.S. Mint neither inspires the best, demands the best, nor rewards the best.

Quite correct. 

On 9/7/2022 at 7:38 AM, zadok said:

You are absolutely onto something about the 1910-20 Italian material. 

On 9/7/2022 at 6:15 AM, thebeav said:

I like a lot of the Swiss issues. The designs have been quite modern and many appeared to be ahead of their time. Whatever that means.

This 5 Franc Einstein for example......

Clipboard01.jpg

Did this circulate? I thought this was NIFC. 

On 9/7/2022 at 4:18 PM, VKurtB said:

You are absolutely onto something about the 1910-20 Italian material. 

...glad u think so ive often thought their designs in that era were equal to our classics of 1916....

On 9/7/2022 at 12:35 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

What iconic figures do foreign countries have, though ?  Lady Liberty on the SG and Liberty DEs...plus on the Morgan Dollar.....and the iconic eagle...they might not be one's favorite, but I wouldn't say they were ugly or bad.

Iconic figures? How about William Tell on the regular 5 SFr?

On 9/7/2022 at 1:35 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

...almost every country has their own iconic designs...our eagle is usually portrayed quite elegantly...lady liberty is symbolic on many countries coins...i just happen to find SG's $20 lady fairly obnoxious n definitely not his best work, almost certainly inspired by Delacroix's Liberty Leading the People n poorly done, u can barely tell that she is female...as for the morgan n de liberty just mundane n not inspiring...SG's $10 exquisitely done...even our 1790s coins r more appealing than most of our post 1900s coins....IMO

On 9/7/2022 at 4:16 PM, VKurtB said:

So you consider Saints as circulating coins? Interesting. 

AVAILABLE to circulate, but as Roger and others here have noted, few people used them.  I get that.  I'm simply saying he coins had flair and panache. xD

On 9/7/2022 at 5:17 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

AVAILABLE to circulate, but as Roger and others here have noted, few people used them.  I get that.  I'm simply saying he coins had flair and panache. xD

I’ll grant you flair and panache. Have you traveled internationally? Some coins are really uninspired, like anything in the circulating euro set. Some of the NIFC is pretty nice though. 

On 9/7/2022 at 6:11 PM, RWB said:

I generally prefer waffles....

:)

I never ate at a Waffle House until I moved to Alabama. Breakfast from the three major fat groups: bacon, fried potatoes, and butter on the waffles. 

I'm in full agreement with most the circulating issues mentioned already, France & Italy 1910-20, U.K., etc.. My list for moderns would also include the Irish "barnyard" coinage and I also have an affinity for Rhodesian circulating coins, although it is tough to find well struck/high grade examples of either of these issues. 

On 9/7/2022 at 6:15 AM, thebeav said:

I like a lot of the Swiss issues. The designs have been quite modern and many appeared to be ahead of their time. Whatever that means.

This 5 Franc Einstein for example......

Clipboard01.jpg

I agree.  They are also the highest quality coins made in modern times and there is continuity in the designs of circulating coinage. 

I also like it because there are many collectors who just stopped their collections at 1968.  The coins are lightly available because mint sets were made. 

Commems tend to be very attractive.  

Edited by cladking

On 9/8/2022 at 5:59 AM, thebeav said:

No it didn't.....I missed that word in your original post.

I wasn’t sure. From time to time a commemorative circulating 5 SFr does happen, while the 10’s are NIFC. 

On 9/8/2022 at 3:35 PM, lehigh96 said:

As a collector of Danish 25 Ore, I will go with Denmark.

Excellent choice!

Does anyone know when the creation of King Charles III coins will begin? Does it wait until coronation? Might we have 2023 “dot” coins from Canada, as in 1936 and 1953?