• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Susan B Anthony Coin Envelopes

7 posts in this topic

I have seen on eBay a number of different colored envelopes for SBA dollar coins.  I want to know if this is how the US mint sent them out or was this something a company (Franklin Mint, Littleton Coin Co.) put together later to sell to people.  I guess I could do a Google search but it is nice to interact with an actual person sometimes.

Thank you.

SBA green.jpg

SBA Poinsettia.jpg

SBA white.jpg

SBA Yellow.jpg

Edited by Newbie_7

The first two sets you show were definitely issued by the mint. I remember them being sold at the U.S. Mint's gift shops at the Treasury Building in Washington, D.C. and at the Philadelphia mint when I visited those venues in the early 1980s. The green envelope was standard, and the red one was offered for Christmas gifts.  I purchased "The 1979 Dollar Souvenir Set" in the same light green envelope as your top 1980 set to obtain a specimen of the uncirculated 1979-S Anthony dollar, which was not included in the 1979 mint sets. 

It is likely that the bottom two sets are also mint issued sets with a different envelope.  (I also saw one of these sets with an envelope designed for distribution at a FUN (Florida United Numismatists) show in the early 1980s.)

On 9/3/2022 at 12:03 AM, Sandon said:

I remember them being sold at the U.S. Mint's gift shops at the Treasury Building in Washington, D.C. and at the Philadelphia mint when I visited those venues in the early 1980s

Your dating yourself Sandon. 😜 

Thank you for your help on this.  I have been hesitant to buy any of them since I did not know where they were produced.  I have seen similar envelopes but  they said the Franklin Mint on it.

Yes this is how they sold them i have all 3 years 79-81 ..... However i have not seen them in the red envelope but the other 2 i have are exactly what youpictured.