• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frosty 1892 Commemorative 50C
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I recently purchased this 1892 Columbian 50C Commemorative for very little, and some of the features actually have a frosty or shiny speckled appearance on the obverse like at the raised portions of the hair, similar to some NGC slabbed BU Morgans I have purchased.

It's hard to describe exactly what I am seeing with the coin in-hand, which is kind of like a frosty shiny iced snowflake like appearance on just some of the raised surfaces, or what that is called as I do not believe it would be called a "frosty" appearance like you would with say a Proof ASE.

1892 US Columbian 50C Commemorative.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/1/2022 at 8:28 PM, EagleRJO said:

I recently purchased this 1892 Columbian 50C Commemorative for very little, and some of the features actually have a frosty or shiny speckled appearance on the obverse like at the raised portions of the hair, similar to some NGC slabbed BU Morgans I have purchased.  It's hard to describe exactly what I am seeing with the coin in-hand or what that is called as I do not believe it would be called a "frosty" appearance like you would with say a Proof ASE.

1892 US Columbian 50C Commemorative.jpg

So hard to tell with this lighting. Could be a nice coin; could be a problem. 

I have seen the same frosty type appearance of some raised portipns of devices on a few PCGS or NGC slabbed BU "Stage Coach" Morgan Dollars as well as a few other raw Morgans I have, but I'm just not sure how to properly show/describe that or what it may be called.

Edited by EagleRJO

So the coin has a similar look to a matt coin but not dull, kinda shiny. Sounds like a nice long bath? Maybe with a cigar and a bottle of Jack. I know my surface gets funny looking if I stay submerged to long;) 

On 9/2/2022 at 7:07 AM, J P M said:

So the coin has a similar look to a matt coin but not dull, kinda shiny. Sounds like a nice long bath?

Not really like that, with somewhat of a matte appearance even though it is kinda shiny, which I have seen on coins prolly from a "light dip in the pool".  :grin:

More like a shiny crystalized appearance only on some of the highest points of a coin, like just some of the hair on the obverse for this coin.  And I don't see any indication of the same appearance on the reverse. It also looks like it would take very little in terms a rub or contact with other coins for that to disappear.

On 9/2/2022 at 12:01 PM, RWB said:

Part of normal die changes.

That would make sense as I have only seen a similar look on uncirculated coins which appear to have a very sharp strike, perhaps very early in the life of a die.